My Motor Problem

Rosinandwires

Joined Oct 17, 2021
This is my first post. Please forgive my poor navigation of the forum. This is a stand alone motor I received from a friends Uncle. No information could be had from him. I'm curious if anyone knows if it needs a starting capacitor. If anyone knows the color scheme and switch hookup pattern. I put the connectors on for testing; then got cold feet. I hope the picture and Ohm test is a reasonably sufficient start. Thanks for enduring my ignorance.20220115_212820.jpg20220115_212618_HDR.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What sort of appliance did this motor come from? If you have access to that appliance it could be very useful to investigate the associated controls circuit. At least we might know how many speeds are available.
Otherwise, I suggest a web search using that XYD-G018

Rosinandwires

Joined Oct 17, 2021
What sort of appliance did this motor come from? If you have access to that appliance it could be very useful to investigate the associated controls circuit. At least we might know how many speeds are available.
Otherwise, I suggest a web search using that XYD-G018
Did search all numbers. Not much to be found. As I stated in my post; no information could be had from my friends Uncle. It was a stand alone motor. Thanks all the same.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Did search all numbers. Not much to be found. As I stated in my post; no information could be had from my friends Uncle. It was a stand alone motor. Thanks all the same.
What we know now for sure is that it is a fan motor. Some motor expert should be able to tell us the capacitor value for a 35 watt multi-speed fan motor.
What are you hoping to use it for? What sort of application?

Rosinandwires

Joined Oct 17, 2021
What we know now for sure is that it is a fan motor. Some motor expert should be able to tell us the capacitor value for a 35 watt multi-speed fan motor.
What are you hoping to use it for? What sort of application?
I'm thinking I'll attach a drill Chuck to it and build a simple hobby lathe for turning dowels. Maybe some other artsy type stuff.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Unfortunately you won't see a lot of torque for that motor.
Especially direct drive to a lathe type application. Also only 35w at the high speed.
You would be better off looking for a scrap treadmill where you have ~ a 2hp Motor and variable speed.

Rosinandwires

Joined Oct 17, 2021
Unfortunately you won't see a lot of torque for that motor.
Especially direct drive to a lathe type application. Also only 35w at the high speed.
You would be better off looking for a scrap treadmill where you have ~ a 2hp Motor and variable speed.
That's a good idea. Thanks.

Rosinandwires

Joined Oct 17, 2021
What part ofthe world are you located in? That afects the availability of parts quite a bit, as well as the cost.
I'm in Oregon, Pacific Northwest U.S.A. I get all kinds of stuff just scrounging around the Garbage/Recycle areas at my apartment complex. I'll wager I will find a treadmill after someone gives up on their New Year Resolution. Lol! I just like to play around building simple circuits and electromechanical gadgetry. Destroying something useful to get the parts. Then make something silly. The time involved and the end result only impresses my friends. Keeps me busy otherwise.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I'm in Oregon, Pacific Northwest U.S.A. I get all kinds of stuff just scrounging around the Garbage/Recycle areas at my apartment complex. I'll wager I will find a treadmill after someone gives up on their New Year Resolution. Lol! I just like to play around building simple circuits and electromechanical gadgetry. Destroying something useful to get the parts. Then make something silly. The time involved and the end result only impresses my friends. Keeps me busy otherwise.
OK K!! Patriotic Americans recycle, and that definitely includes experimenters. A fast motor can drive the grinding wheel of a shaper setup to grind rather than carve. That motor will probably have base speeds of slow, medium, and fast.But it will be a learning experience no matter what.

Rosinandwires

Joined Oct 17, 2021
OK K!! Patriotic Americans recycle, and that definitely includes experimenters. A fast motor can drive the grinding wheel of a shaper setup to grind rather than carve. That motor will probably have base speeds of slow, medium, and fast.But it will be a learning experience no matter what.
I also found this key maker/duplicator in the garbage area. Powers on and spins great. I was thinking of how to make it into a lathe. Speed controller? Drill press pulleys? I would definitely need to make the tailstock and everything else quite robust. Carrier and bearings. Ah geez!20220116_183636.jpgWay too much for my little hobby hut!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You notice it is not continuous duty (30min) Motor? :oops:
It might get a little tiresome in a lathe application!
We get free curbside pick of scrap TM's here on almost a weekly basis!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What that keycopier has immediately is a small buffing wheel and a narrow grinder. So that part could be quite useful as it is. Buffing and grinding are rather basic shop needs. And on the other side, you may be able to replace that cutter with another grinding wheel and add a support for the work. Great for sharpening drill bits.