My fridge sux

Alloy_Cylinder

Joined Mar 23, 2005
Hi,

I live in an apt. And, I recently got a really cool fridge. Now, it's HUGE and powerful and just perfect for all my shopping needs. But, every hour or so, it seems to take a surge of power and all of the lights in my apt "flicker".

This has to do with some huge surge in the power and I don't know how to prevent it. My landlord said to just get a powerbar and plug the fridge into that.. but that doesn't make sense. Is the fridge just too powerful for my little 'ol apt?

Thx!

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Originally posted by Alloy_Cylinder@Apr 5 2005, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I live in an apt. And, I recently got a really cool fridge. Now, it's HUGE and powerful and just perfect for all my shopping needs. But, every hour or so, it seems to take a surge of power and all of the lights in my apt "flicker".

This has to do with some huge surge in the power and I don't know how to prevent it. My landlord said to just get a powerbar and plug the fridge into that.. but that doesn't make sense. Is the fridge just too powerful for my little 'ol apt?

Thx!
[post=6734]Quoted post[/post]​
Most, if not all, 'fridge motors will draw a higher than normal current briefly at switch-on. This is because they are effectively stalled and have the compressor still mechanically loading them.

It seems likely that the wiring in your apartment, or at least the circuit your 'fridge is is plugged into, isn't really man enough for the job.

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
I recently had to trouble shoot the exact same problem in a small apartment. We found that the circuit breaker was worn out, and that there were loose connections in the receptacle feeding the fridge.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Whats the amperage/wattage rating of the fridge? As dave said earlier, the instant the compressor kicks on it looks like a very low resistance (nearing a short) to the outlet its pluged into. Thats really not uncommon if it's truly a monster fridge.

P.S. Try filling it with "lite" beer rather than regular :lol:

Looks like there is a loose connection possibly in the receptacle where you plugged in
the fridge. As a try plug it into another outlet to see if this is the problem. If all outlets produce the same result, the problem may be a loose connection in the circuit breaker box. Your landlord should take care of this.
Good Luck,
Richard

Alloy_Cylinder

Joined Mar 23, 2005
Originally posted by Richard Scott@Apr 7 2005, 06:47 PM
Looks like there is a loose connection possibly in the receptacle where you plugged in
the fridge. As a try plug it into another outlet to see if this is the problem. If all outlets produce the same result, the problem may be a loose connection in the circuit breaker box. Your landlord should take care of this.
Good Luck,
Richard
[post=6793]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks, I tried a different outlet and it worked. It makes sense as the outlet itself moves when I plug it in, so something must be loose there.

I really thought it had something to do with the entire apartment as it's old. I can't even put up a ceiling fan in my apt. as it was built in the 1800's or something and the ceiling cannot support it. Very very old apartment :p

rukrazy?

Joined Mar 5, 2005
Originally posted by Alloy_Cylinder@Apr 7 2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks, I tried a different outlet and it worked. It makes sense as the outlet itself moves when I plug it in, so something must be loose there.

I really thought it had something to do with the entire apartment as it's old. I can't even put up a ceiling fan in my apt. as it was built in the 1800's or something and the ceiling cannot support it. Very very old apartment :p
[post=6796]Quoted post[/post]​
Most apartments were wired with 20amp fuses and the wiring may be two small to handle the load. You may be able to get an electrician to rewire, just complain to the owner its unsafe and needs to be upgraded.

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
2005 NEC code: 210.52(B)(1)(Exception No. 2) "The receptacle outlet for refridgeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated at 15 amps or greater."

2005 NEC Handbook: "Exception No. 2 to 210.52(B)(1) allows a choice for refridgeration equipment receptacle outlets located in a kitchen or similar area. An individual 15-amp or larger branch circuit may serve this equipment, or it may be included in the 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuit."