My electronics workshop

dexterbot80

Joined May 26, 2020
Hi, I really appreciate both your critiques and your kind words. Immediately after I changed the tables and shelves, I hurried to put a film with my workshop to ask for informed opinions from people with experience in the field. Thank you for your feedback and I will be back as soon as I have time for the improvements I have made. All the best

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
@dexterbot80 Hope you didn't get the impression that I was dissing you. My comment was about a guy buying a Lamborghini when it's performance capability makes it a ticket magnet and you can only redline it in 1st or 2nd gear. And these days, nothing has a third pedal, so what's the point? Anyone can operate a paddle shifter. It takes more skill to be able to feather a clutch the old fashioned way.

My current car has a dumbed down clutch so even stick shift novices might be able to drive it. And I can't pop the clutch for a wheel spinning takeoff; if I was so inclined.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Ditto on the lighting. Under-shelf, point of use, adjustable/gooseneck, adjustable luminosity, magnifier, etc. Never enough point of use lighting. I had to hang blackout curtains on the windows behind mine due to being blinded by afternoon sun coming in. Not a problem for most basement benches.

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
The biggest mistake I made in my workshop is carpeting. After years of clipping off component leads from through hole PCB's, you can vacuum all you want and they don't come up. Also stained from a solder paste accident.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I put down a cheap area rug to protect the flooring from the chair casters. Consider it a throwaway that was cheaper than the plastic chair guards. My big toe was giving me problems and thought I had an ingrown toenail acting up so my wife took me to the podiatrist. He x-rayed my foot and I figured he was just padding his bill. He came in to see me and told me I had some metal in my toe? He poked around and pulled it out and one look told me what it was. A clipped leg off of a resistor about a quarter-inch long. Didn't feel it when it happened from the neuropathy in my lower legs and feet but I'm sure it was stuck in the carpet when I jammed it in going barefoot. After being in a few days it was starting to fester up and hurting. Carpets do collect a lot of crap under a workbench.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
My wife put one of those plastic floor protectors under her office desk - over the carpet. Whenever I sit at her desk, if I'm not bare foot or wearing shoes (socks only on my feet that is) and I shuffle my feet while sitting there MAN I get a heck of a sting from static. And here in Utah, in the winter - it's pretty dry. Static is a belch. (auto correct)