Must Puncture Can of Grease

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

I must puncture a can of "spray" dielectric grease so that i can get the grease out..
I put "spray" in quotes because it was supposed to be a spray but it comes out more like toothpaste.

I've used it a few times, maybe 5 times, and already the propellant is gone and i am left with an almost full can of really good quality grease. If i can get the grease out, i can still use it effectively. Problem is, i dont really know if the propellant is gone or the valve is bad. If the valve is bad then a puncture would spew grease all over teh place.

So any ideas what he best way to do this might be?
I was thinking put it in a box, then puncture, but i dont have a box that size.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you have access to pin drills, or engraving bits, this would make a very small hole that if there were significant pressure left in the can, it could easily be stopped and/or released in a controlled way, just by finger pressure.
Max.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Do you have access to pin drills, or engraving bits, this would make a very small hole that if there were significant pressure left in the can, it could easily be stopped and/or released in a controlled way, just by finger pressure.
Max.
Hi,

Yes good idea. I have down to #75 drill sizes i used to use for PC boards.
I think i'll try that...thanks for the idea.

After that i'll try shears to cut off the top and get the bulk of it out.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If the can is a regular type with a rolled bottom seam, after making sure there is no propellant in it, use a regular can opener to open it. One from the dollar store will keep the wife happy.

MrAl:

You know batter. You need to post a pic.

I'll give you an idea. Two long boards with a hinge between them. The basics of a "can crusher".

take a nail, an "o-ring" and a step collar so you have nail, board, step collar, o-ring.

Do whatever you have to to get the right length and to secure the can.

Now, put the can in a zip lock bag.

Puncture the can through the zip lock. The "O-ring" should secure the grease and seal against the collar. I;m assuming not a whole lot of pressure inside the can. More like "shaving cream" type of pressure.

All of that is likely available at my local hardware store.

You might only have a tiny hole to deal with.

The hi-tech way, that costs more than the grease: https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Side-Can-Tap-10U329

Who knows what the diameters are of your can or the tap.

What brought me there was what an R-12 can tap looks like. You might have one lying around.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If the can is a regular type with a rolled bottom seam, after making sure there is no propellant in it, use a regular can opener to open it. One from the dollar store will keep the wife happy.
Hi,

That might be good too, but not sure how thick the steel is on this can. I think it's thicker than most vegetable cans for example.