And one day
Time of kindness will come
And one day
We will be good to each other
And one day
We will need each other

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
but the second one... sorry but rap is not my thing ...
I used to think so too. I just hadn't heard the right rap. Most of it is garbage, so that's all I had ever been exposed to. Shallow lyrics about drinking in clubs, spending loads of money, and shooting people. None of that in what I posted. You won't even hear a curse word in it.

I appreciate almost any music as long as it required some skill to produce, uses instruments (or gifted vocals), and has heartfelt message or a story, especially if I can relate to it.

Maybe the video I posted was too much of a plunge into cold water. You might find this more palatable:

Understood if you don't feel like taking a bite you'll be missing out if you don't!

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
RAP is not music so I looked at its description in Wikipedia.
They say it is "Rhythm And Poetry" where a Jamaican is reading poetry out loud with a drum in the background.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
RAP is not music so I looked at its description in Wikipedia.
They say it is "Rhythm And Poetry" where a Jamaican is reading poetry out loud with a drum in the background.
I also just looked up the definition myself today, as I realized I couldn't draw a clear line between rap and hip-hop. I have a differing opinion but I realize that as art it's subjective and your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Is that a Playlist you made? Not sure which song you are sharing if not all or the first one. But the first one I thought sounded a bit like Eddie Vedder.
It's a playlist, but it's not mine. Apparently it's a radio show of sorts. Anyway, I liked the entire collection very much. It's worth listening till the end. And there's another one similar to this one that I'm trying to find at this moment.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I can't believe I didn't think to start off this thread with this song. It's not my favorite song, not even my favorite country song. But as far as songs that hit me in the feels, this is undisputedly #1. It's not depressing at all, but I need a box of tissues to listen to it.

Even if you think you don't like country, I encourage you to check it out anyway. The lyrics are just that powerful, and if they apply to you, you'll feel it tenfold.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
For some best hip hop, go to Outkast. I miss them so. You may still dislike the style but you cannot deny their talent...
They really were great. This got me thinking... am I glad they split up? Ever notice how bands that stay together forever, often their first few albums are the best and what they're known for, and everything that comes after sucks? It's hard to remain a so-called "fan" of a band that hasn't released an album you actually wanted to listen to in over a decade. It's like when a TV show outlives it's entertainment value and you think to yourself "this should have ended 5 seasons ago." Like The Walking Dead.

Is it better for a band to come together, drop a few incredible albums and then vaporize, sealing/freezing people's opinions in that time and place?

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
The "best hip hop" in post #36 is RAP, not music. No melody and no singing, instead the guys are just talking about things in their culture.
Interesting take. There is rhythm and melody present in all songs. I always appreciated their style and their excellent story telling.

Forgot about this gem: