Multiplier Free Digital Filter

rughooam

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Hi,
I have some questions regarding tools that can design Multiplier Free Digital IIR Filters to be implemented in an FPGA. I am not sure in which forum such a question would fall into or if this is the appropriate website for such a question. If somebody could guide me, I would appreciate that,
Thanks
Amish

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What kinds of filters could such a thing implement? Certainly an FIR or IIR filter would be out of the question. Not sure what else there is.

rughooam

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Actually there are white papers out then of how to implement FIR and IIR with bit shift and add approximation to multiplication. Search for "Design of Multiplier-free State-Space Digital Filters"
I am just wondering if there is a tool that would prevent me from having to do it manually.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Actually there are white papers out then of how to implement FIR and IIR with bit shift and add approximation to multiplication. Search for "Design of Multiplier-free State-Space Digital Filters"
I am just wondering if there is a tool that would prevent me from having to do it manually.
I guess you can build filters where all the coefficients are powers of 2, but so much for being able to meet actual filter requirements. For example, can you do a Butterworth filter this way? If not can you tolerate the passband ripple?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Is it difficult to build a hardware MAC into a modern FPGA? I wouldn't think so, but this is not my area of expertise.

rughooam

Joined Feb 1, 2018
We are running out of MACs :( and yes at this point it's unknown if our system would be able to handle the distortion to the filter characteristics once we do the power of 2 conversion but we won't know if we don't try.