Multiple voltages with single main adjust.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
there is only one set of resistors in the schematic that can possible be the loads...so screw this.
Really? Have you looked at one of the more common constant current source circuits out there in which the load is the resistor connected between the regulator's adjustment pin and ground while the resistor connected between the output and the adjustment pin is used to set the current through the other resistor?

What you seem to be doing is "design by happening". Throw something together and just hope that it happens to work. But you won't even know if you are successful because you won't put for the effort to even articulate what constitutes happening to work.

You need to spell out what constitutes a successful circuit in terms such that you can give the circuit to someone that knows absolutely nothing about what it is you are trying to accomplish and they can perform tests based on the specs you give them and tell you whether it works or not.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I don't know why everyone is so cranky. If I want to see a bunch of people beat up a new guy I'll spend more time on StackExchange. I'd report the snotty post about Tahiti, but no one would get the point.

There is nothing wrong with the question. Yes, the post #1 schematic got things off on the wrong foot, but the #4 schematic has everything needed to answer the question.

Spidey:

1. Yes, I think it will work and do what you want. Be sure to limit the adjustment ranges so the 317 and 337 voltages do not cross over.

2. In the future, do not post shortcut schematics with the initial question. Your post #1 schematic could be interpreted as showing a fundamental misunderstanding of how an LM317 functions, a distraction. Show all components even if you don't know the values yet. And show potentiometers rather than assume that other people know that you know how an LM317 functions.

3. Add reference designators for *every*thing. Then use them to pose a more detailed question.

4. Is this circuit arrangement an original idea or is it based on something you saw somewhere? Either way I plan to steal it.

ak

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Thanks ak, this forum has been a learning experience for me.

I will take into consideration each of the cautions you have given, on the circuit and how to conduct myself on the board.

And this is an original idea I came up with.

Normally I just bread board my ideas, but then I started visiting this forum, and decided I could run things past other people before I waste my time with things that will not work.

But there seem to be some protocols that I don’t fully understand…yet.

Thanks again

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This looks like a case in which the thread starter is not well practiced in describing what he wants to do and is still learning the correct technical terms. Be patient and success will most likely come.