Multimeter slowly converging to the right voltage

Andrei Monsanto Boysen

Joined Nov 30, 2014
Hello all,

I'd like to hear from you some suggestions on what could be causing this behavior in my multimeter. As a background, its battery (standard 9V one) leaked inside it and this required me to cleanup the board with isopropyl alcohol. When I assembled it back, it appeared to be working properly, but in a minute I could notice that, when measuring voltages, it was slowly converging to a steady measured voltage (almost a minute) instead of reaching it in a few seconds.
A friend of mine told me this might be due to existent residue of the battery chemicals still on the board. He told me that this residue might be acting as a capacitor thus causing the symptom I described. It was also suggested that I should try cleaning up the board using those ultrasound cleaners.

Does this make sense? I tried searching for this on the web, but my keywords choices always end up giving a bunch of unrelated results. Can you suggest any link or paper on this?

I really appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Andrei

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Well, that might mean it's good, but it's not a sure thing.

I'm not buying the self-made capacitor theory. Residual crud, yes maybe.
I'd buy some kind of electro chemical effect if there's residual electrolyte contamination on the PCB.

There's no way capacitance could account for a lag of a few minutes.