Multimeter help with continuity testing

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
I had a really old multimeter that had an option called logic. When I tapped two probes together it would beep. This helped me testing continuity. That multineter has gone faulty now so I've got another one that was given to me. I've attached a picture but I cannot seem to see any way to test continuity with it. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There doesn’t appear to be any continuity setting on that meter.
You can get a meter with continuity testing and autoranging for very little money today, that is single digit dollars. If you can swing that I would suggest it. This meter will be good to have around as well—more than one meter is often very useful.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I had a really old multimeter that had an option called logic. When I tapped two probes together it would beep. This helped me testing continuity. That multineter has gone faulty now so I've got another one that was given to me. I've attached a picture but I cannot seem to see any way to test continuity with it. Can anyone advise?

Thanks
If you turn to the diode setting (arrow icon in lower right side of dial), you may get an audible tone for continuity. I couldn't find the manual for the LAP MAS830B but the manual for MASTECH MAS830B says it works that way. Although, the two meters look very similar, the MASTECH meter with the same model number had a transistor gain measurement function that the LAP version does not have. Good luck.

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I'll test out your suggestions when I get home. It doesn't need to make an audible sound. Just need to test continuity to be able to find other ends of things like connectors

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I'll test out your suggestions when I get home. It doesn't need to make an audible sound. Just need to test continuity to be able to find other ends of things like connectors
Then just use the minimum resistance measurement setting and look for a resistance of no more than a couple ohms.
(Short the leads together to see what the minimum reading is).

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It doesn't need to make an audible sound.
I think you'd miss the audible indication of connectivity; I would/do. Without it, you need to keep looking at the display on the DVM.

Another option is to get something that has a light bulb (and 2AA batteries) like this:
upload_2017-9-20_16-42-36.png
It gives you a visual indication of connectivity and can also be used to check diodes, BJT junctions, and LEDs (except many white or blue). I bought my last one at Home Depot (10-15 years ago) because my first one from the 70's had a lot of wear and tear.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If you don’t need a tone you can use either diode or resistance range. As @ericgibbs mentioned the 200Ω range will do well, if it show OL (or whatever the out of range indicator is) you’ll know that for purposes of cables, connectors, and the like you have a problem. You can switch to a higher range to see if it is really open or just higher resistance than it should be, but the 200Ω range will act substantially like a go/no go continuity tester.