multi-forum posting ettiquite

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am a member of more than one forum. I know a handful of you are also on other forums. I am wondering if there is already an unwritten law about posting the same question in multiple forums. I personally have encountered a situation a couple of times in the past where I went to a lot of effort to answer a question, only to find that it had already been answered (on another forum). This left a bad taste in my mouth about answering questions from people I know to be multi-forum posters. I have been on the other side of the issue as well; I have asked the same question on multiple forums and gotten the same answers. The reasons for posting in multiple forums would be to possibly get an answer faster, possibly to get a different answer (or the same answer worded a different way) and make a comparison, or to ask a question hoping to get a response from a specific person(s) on either or all forums.

As I said, I have found that I am less inclined to answer a question from someone I know to be a multi-forum poster because the chances that it is already answered are high, and without reading through the whole post on one site and then going to another site, searching out the duplicate and reading through probably very similar replies to see if it's been sufficiently answered, I am reluctant to answer. it is more likely that I will bypass that specific thread. I have to force myself out of this line of thinking. I don't want myself to be labeled as a multi-forum poster and experience the same sort of discrimination(?) that I subconsciously exhibit myself, so I rarely post the exact same question on multiple forums. In the event that I were to do so, and I had my question answered on one forum, I would let people know in the other forum that the question is already answered so they don't waste their time. I think this is good practice for anybody who is multiple forums. What do you think?

P.S. While I don't often post the exact same question on multiple forums, I do for example in the scope of one project, possibly have more than one thread open (even within one forum) on very closely related topics of which the lines sometimes cross. I don't realy see a way around that.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Me, I don't sweat it. I'm also on other forums, but overall a second opinion is not a bad thing.

Since most of my efforts go into this forum guess where my reputation is?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Most of the multiple postings are by people either new to the subject or even new to forums. I was/am guilty of doing this. Until a person gets a feel of where the best information comes from, its hard to not post the same question multiple places.

After a while you pick one that gives the answers that you can understand and stay with that forum. I don't see a problem with trying to help where ever you can. Many other people besides the OP will read the thread and your answer may be just the one they need. :)

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I think it's prudent to tap into multiple resources. IMO it comes down to respecting those that take the time to respond to your queries.

an analogy might be where I contract out a certain task. I'll get 3 quotes. Not always looking for the cheapest price, but the most appropriate solution. Somewhere in the world, someone has contemplated the same query as you, has done thier homework, and can make a valued response. How do you find that resource?

for some reason I think of a dance routine that regardless of how hard the instructor tried to show me, I was a fumbling fool. At one gathering a younger gal said let's try that, and with a change of perspective, I picked it up instantly. Network, it's good for the soul.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Most of the times, I post in the same three forums, exactly the same question expecting a wider exposure of my question.

For me is like talking about a particular subject with three different groups of friends, with some of them participating in more than one of those groups. As in real life.

If, at the other side of the counter I meet a question that I have answered in another forum, I just skip it and that is all to it. Why to bother?

Honestamente, I have better things to worry about, estimado Strantor.

Life is too short.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I am a strong supporter of posting the same question on mulitple forums. It is worth considering that there are many members on this forum that rarely visit other forums. By placing the same question on this and other forums more members across all the forums will benefit from the information exchanged.

hgmjr

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Surely it must depend upon the nature of the post?

Someone who just wants his homework done for him and posts the same question on 5 forums then simply copies the first answer and abandons the rest.

Someone who knows of a good answer to a question on another similar forum and references it.

Someone just shopping around.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Does not bother me one bit, if you actually google most of these questions firstimers post on here, you will see they are posted exactly word for word on other forums, but it is no big deal really...... in most cases, I won't even waste my time posting anything in a thread that was started with a multi-forum post :cool:

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
As long as you follow up on threads you start there's no problem with cross posting to multiple forums. If and when you've received the information you need, it's polite to mention that on all forums that you've posted the same topic to so people don't waste effort on an answer that's not needed.

I noticed a thread started by someone using the exact same verbiage on several of the forums I visit so I pasted the exact same answer on each of them. :D

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You guys talk about it like it's a big deal.

Do you know how many duplicate questions beginners post in various forums inside AAC?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
in most cases, I won't even waste my time posting anything in a thread that was started with a multi-forum post :cool:
This is the suspicion I was seeking to confirm or deny, but you said a multi forum post, not a multi forum poster, and so far this is the only response I've gotten along those lines, so I guess I was just being paranoid. Thanks for chiming in guys, I will loosen up now.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
As long as you follow up on threads you start there's no problem with cross posting to multiple forums. If and when you've received the information you need, it's polite to mention that on all forums that you've posted the same topic to so people don't waste effort on an answer that's not needed.
I agree, even though I'm not a multi-forum poster. I would probably post a "thank you" message, perhaps telling the solution I am going with, just for the reference of those who come along later.

--Rich

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The only issue I have with it is that if the poster finds an elegant solution, they should have the common courtesy to go back to all the forums posted on, and paste the answer, or at least a link to the forum that had the best solution for his requirements.

Posting on multiple forums does give you viewpoints from different people, from professional EEs, to mostly Hobbyists, to embedded only thinkers, and even people that can make a 555 solve any problem. :D

There's always more than one way to solve something, or method of troubleshooting, some work better than others.

My biggest gripe is when several people put work into a thread, and the OP never returns to see it, or report if any worked. With the courtesy of reporting back, Truly "Elegant Solutions" to a lot of problems can become common knowledge faster.