Multi Colour LED

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am trying to find info on what is required to drive any of the 2 pin multi-colour LEDs, I have found a few LED sources, Digikey etc, but the Data sheets are always in Chinese, and even then, very vague!
Anyone had any experience?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes, I cannot seem to find the requirement for the change?
Typically used in yard decorative fixtures.
I have a circuit for the YX8018, but need just the lamp requirement info.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The change is done internally on a cycle and restarts when the power is removed and reapplied.

They generally use 3.0-3.4V for 20mA

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I am trying to find info on what is required to drive any of the 2 pin multi-colour LEDs, I have found a few LED sources, Digikey etc, but the Data sheets are always in Chinese, and even then, very vague!
Anyone had any experience?
what part number for your LED. A bipolar (2-pin) LED means you change polarity to change color. Usually they are Red/Green. If you change polarity back and forth fast enough, you may be able to fake orange/amber.

Here is a schematic example of one such bipolar LED that I did that with for a client project. Used 2 pins on an MCU so I could swap polarity however I wanted:

1624293892126.png

Ran it approximately 2V @ 8mA, either direction.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
These are RGB from Digikey COM-11450, but the model No is not critical, just need the requirement to change colour? cannot really decifer the info sheet.
I don't have the No. of the existing ones now in place.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I tried and the one I tested just glowed steady Yellow/red , I want to recreate the existing YX8018 driven version, it alternates three colours every 0.5 sec or so.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Have you searched for this component on the Sparkfun site? There are several questions and answers on the site. Plus an English datasheet. The ds contains a timing diagram that shows the color sequence.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I have many solar garden lights that use a QX5252F IC, not the YX8018 that you have. Yours causes the solar panel to discharge the battery at night because it is missing a Schottky diode as I show. I also show the Schottky diode and filter capacitor that must be used for the colors-changing LED.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have many solar garden lights that use a QX5252F IC, not the YX8018 that you have. Yours causes the solar panel to discharge the battery at night because it is missing a Schottky diode as I show. I also show the Schottky diode and filter capacitor that must be used for the colors-changing LED.
Actually the one that is working uses the XC5252 as per my print in #10.
I am trying to get the LED to flash without the IC if possible.
According to the Youtube video it is a series of pulses.
Just need the frequency?