MPS(Digital DCDC converter)

somaye2022

Joined Mar 23, 2022
Hi everybody,

I have a question about digital converter (MPS), would it be ok if I choose digital converter with same output current and input voltage range and switching frequency instead of analog converter? Does MPS have the same job as step down converter as analog step down converter, or I have to be concerned about different challenges?

Thank you
Somayeh

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi everybody,

I have a question about digital converter (MPS), would it be ok if I choose digital converter with same output current and input voltage range and switching frequency instead of analog converter? Does MPS have the same job as step down converter as analog step down converter, or I have to be concerned about different challenges?

Thank you
Somayeh
The question is very unclear. First, what is an MPS converter?? And what sort of "step down" is required??
Probably "converter" is not the correct term for whatever the need is. And Analog or Digital leaves me even more confused.

So a statement of what the input would be and what the output is intended to be will allow some useful answers to be provided.
I will not offer any guesses.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am going to hazard a guess that MPS stands for some kind of Power Supply, maybe Switched-Mode Power Supply with a missing S?

I think TS is asking about a DC-DC converter.
Hence a step up converter would be the same as a SMPS boost converter.
A step down converter would be a buck converter.
Granted, the words step-up and step-down is more clear than boost and buck.
The analog vs digital part is still not clear.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, MrChips. There are indeed simple oscillator inverters that can be either step up or step down, depending on the transformer ratio. And certainly those are analog in that even if they use transformers that saturate, the system runs on analog feedback in the range between saturation and cutoff. Switching mode systems are different, even if they actually include an inverter and a transformer. Usually switchers run at a much higher frequency so that they can use much smaller inductive devices, which may, or not be transformers. But still there is no mention of input voltage or output voltage nor power level. Thus no point in even guessing.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hi everybody,

Thank you
Somayeh
Let's avoid all the philosophical discussion going on and assume that you comparing a switching power supply step down voltage (buck) convertor to an analog voltage regulator.
They do the same job but there are differences you should be aware of before you choose.
Buck converters are much more power efficient than analog voltage regulators and dissipate much less heat but because they are switching supplies, they generate electrical switching noise on the supply. This is completely absent with an analog voltage regulator.
You need to decide which is most important in your project; power efficiency or low noise.

somaye2022

Joined Mar 23, 2022
Let's avoid all the philosophical discussion going on and assume that you comparing a switching power supply step down voltage (buck) convertor to an analog voltage regulator.
They do the same job but there are differences you should be aware of before you choose.
Buck converters are much more power efficient than analog voltage regulators and dissipate much less heat but because they are switching supplies, they generate electrical switching noise on the supply. This is completely absent with an analog voltage regulator.
You need to decide which is most important in your project; power efficiency or low noise.
Thank you so much for your helpfull reply! Maybe i am not yet so good to explain my question correctlly, but you understand my quetion correctlly, Thank you with best regards

somaye2022

Joined Mar 23, 2022
OK, MrChips. There are indeed simple oscillator inverters that can be either step up or step down, depending on the transformer ratio. And certainly those are analog in that even if they use transformers that saturate, the system runs on analog feedback in the range between saturation and cutoff. Switching mode systems are different, even if they actually include an inverter and a transformer. Usually switchers run at a much higher frequency so that they can use much smaller inductive devices, which may, or not be transformers. But still there is no mention of input voltage or output voltage nor power level. Thus no point in even guessing.
Thank you for your reply,
the Input from Step down converster ist 5 V, and the Output is 1.2V with 2A output current requirment.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There were no "philosophical discussions" going on. There was a very undefined request for folks to use their insights and background knowledge to answer an inquiry so general that no answer would be useful.
So we requested additional information, rather than making random guesses at what the TS might have been wanting to know.

My experience on this section of threads is that after a lot of random guesses as to what the TS actually wanted to know, it is something different.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
@somaye2022
If you would be so kind enough, besides liking all the relies, please respond with clarification and/or confirmation of what you mean.

Here are the assumptions we have so far:

MPS means Monolithic Power Systems
analog means conventional transformer with linear voltage regulation
digital means a switched-mode power supply (SMPS)
step-up converter means delivering output voltage that is higher than input voltage (boost converter)
step-down converter means delivering output voltage that is lower than input voltage (buck converter)

What is your input voltage range?
What is your desired output voltage?
What is the maximum load current?
What is your application?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
@somaye2022
If you would be so kind enough, besides liking all the relies, please respond with clarification and/or confirmation of what you mean.

step-up converter means delivering output voltage that is higher than input voltage (boost converter)
step-down converter means delivering output voltage that is lower than input voltage (buck converter)

There is just no substitute for explicit directness.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
There were no "philosophical discussions" going on. There was a very undefined request for folks to use their insights and background knowledge to answer an inquiry so general that no answer would be useful.
So we requested additional information, rather than making random guesses at what the TS might have been wanting to know.

My experience on this section of threads is that after a lot of random guesses as to what the TS actually wanted to know, it is something different.
Then how was I able to give the TS the answer he was looking for while the rest of you were discussing his lack of precise definition (see post #7)?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You're on a different astral plane? I dunno.
I agree that many questions asked on this forum are lacking sufficient information to give an immediate answer. In this case though, the question was a fairly simple one. His lack of experience showed up in his wording but I thought is was rather obvious what he was asking.
I'm sure my crystal ball is no better than yours. Mine is a free promotional one I got when AliExpress first opened their doors to the Canadian public.;)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I agree that many questions asked on this forum are lacking sufficient information to give an immediate answer. In this case though, the question was a fairly simple one. His lack of experience showed up in his wording but I thought is was rather obvious what he was asking.
I'm sure my crystal ball is no better than yours. Mine is a free promotional one I got when AliExpress first opened their doors to the Canadian public.;)
I sent mine back because it was defective. I'm not sure if I'll ever get a replacement. You know, manufacturing delays, tariffs, and supply chain problems, Whadya' gonna do?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Some folks have had experiences quite different from mine, and some folks make lucky guesses, and in addition, some folks might even be mind readers.
Then there are some of us who, when asked to provide answers, insist on being told what the question is. When somebody asks for advice on building a power supply we tend to ask about how much power, what voltage, what current capability, and how good the regulation needs to be. We may also ask what sort of power it will be supplied.

somaye2022

Joined Mar 23, 2022
@somaye2022

Thank you for your Tipps, I will learn too much from this forum.
the Input from Step down converster ist 5 V, and the Output is 1.2V with 2A output current requirment.
There is a fpga board for camera.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
So, you can use digital converter MP8854 (DATASHEET), 2.85V - 18V, 4A, High-Efficiency, Wide-Input, Synchronous, Step-Down Converter with Integrated Telemetry via I2C Interface.
It has efficiency about 95% at 2A output current.
It can work without using I2C interface if you do not need dynamically change of output voltage value.

Last edited: