Moving ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am curious how you go about find apartments or homes for rent quick and being able to move into them fast and quick.

Questions I have

1) I can uses sites like truila (for rent ) , Zillow or MLS sites for (buying)...etc
But how did people rent/buy houses or apartments before the internet i.e pre-90's era.

Local News Papers don't seem like there's enough and only list local places in the area. (so this would only work for local moves )
What happens if you had to move far away. ( Only thing is calling a travel agents may help but thought they are basically just to help in finding hotels/motels/temporary short term lodging i.e something in the less then a month range vac's ...etc)

So this question is trying to figure out what other options there where for long distance travel.

2) I have never physically went thru renting / buying thru these internet sites so ... if I was to find what I want. The price was reasonable how hard is it to go and get it. Can it be fully reserved for you online so that all you have to do is move your stuff and pay the monthly cost of rent/utilities .
Or do you have to physical travel to the location first to see it and talk to the property manager/relator.... or is it once you commit to it on the online site your all set ... Other then maybe signing a lease when you get there.
What I am getting at is going thru the sites like truila will it be guaranteed to be reserved the apartment. Or is there some way another person after I have went thru the site can creep in and get it / steal it from me?

3) I know locally I would probably take the tour of going into do apartment walk thru's but it is simply not possible or very difficult to do when it is far away .... so going by the truth of the site / pictures I can say if the sites like truila are accurate I would not be expecting less or more in most cases...
Is this true for these site... I understand sites like craigslist can be a scam so I wouldn't trust those..... What is your opinon.... if you have to move long distance to a job location other then hotels/motels i.e if the job is more long term would you trust just purchasing an apartment without touring...

If not the only other logical thing to do (though a pain ) is go thru all logical long distant options on these sites (write the ones down that are options for me) ... then take a vacation or trip out there just to price these apartments and have a walk thru to see if these are the real deal...

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Years ago, people would use commissioned real estate agents or apartment finders if they wanted more than newspaper searches.

In general, don't rent without seeing it. Generally people use an "extended stay" hotel for the first one to three weeks if you cannot afford a trip to the new location befor moving there. Use that time to find an apartment then sign a lease.

When and how to move your crap is next.

Yorpur posts in this section are starting to sound like a troll so this is my last answer.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Before the turn of the century, you could call the newspaper (from the city you planned on moving to) and have them mail you a subscription for a month (if you had enough time). Also, real estate agents had access to all the homes listed across the country. They also had houses for rent (sometimes apartments, the more expensive ones). Or, you could hire an agent to find a place for you to live.
The online sites need to make money so there are a few things they do to ensure that they are paid. They make you subscribe to the website (for a fee). They hide the actually phone number so you cannot call the place directly (their 800 number confirms how the call was placed).
As far as reserving an apartment (house, etc), you would place a deposit on the unit. The amount of the deposit will vary, but is usually between $100 and 1/10 the cost. It shows that you are serious about renting the unit. The management will usually hold the unit for you for a week (they should tell you how long the hold will be for). If you don't put down a deposit, the next person that comes by can take it. Also, depending on the state, you may be required to pay the first month's rent, the last month's rent and a security deposit before moving in. Your deposit is used towards the first month's rent.
You may be able to get a facebook friend to do the legwork for you.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When I go to a new town, first buy a street map, second buy a newspaper, third, get a good meal inside me. I find a place I can afford and drive through the neighborhood. Clean yards, no rats, fairly nice cars...call the land lord. Otherwise, move to the next listing. Not quite sure? Park for an hour and feel the place. You usually find your first instinct was right, it isn't good enough.

Long distance? You can get a newspaper from far away to get a feel for prices but you have to be there to feel the neighborhood.

When I was moving around, I could fit everything I owned in a panel truck or a work van. If you can't do that, you will have to make arrangements like a storage shed or a U-Haul truck, or both.

Bottom line: You have to arrive in person and work from there. If you don't, the fouls are myriad. Right next to an active train track? Smells like fungus inside the apartment? Neighbors have cars up on cement blocks and the rats root through the beer cans at night? You're between a prison and a mental hospital?

GO LOOK.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for your replies
I thought closer about it and in this day in age if you don't see the places physically you shouldn't take the chance.
I like the thought of first finding a temporary hotel services giving you time to view/tour the different places you find on home away or truila.

This makes it fast and efficient i.e moving methodology
1) Look thru all sites, non-local newspapers,...etc and gather the places you are willing to move into in the location on a piece of paper

2) locate a hotel service or call a travel agent to find a cheap hotel/motel near by the area where you are trying to find an apartment in.

3) temporarily move into that hotel while touring your apartments you gathered in that area (i.e so you can tour the apartments in person , ask questions in person ,...etc)

4) Make a decision on which one is the one , Sign the lease keep copies of the lease.... pay the money , live there...etc

This 4 step methodology is based on having to move no belongings

If belongings would have to be moved then one would have to factor in professional movers , storage , rental trucks, rental furniture or other means.
Though the safe bet is always hold on to your previous living quarters until you own or move in to the next living quarters. Sort of security that you will always have a places to stay if something goes catastrophically wrong...
Always have a contingency plan

As for the moving items part ... this will differ depending on how far, how valuable , how sentimental , how much of an inconvenience , how much money ,..etc etc . Normally I would imagine if you are going to be a traveler there is 2 main options
1) have a home or a main apartment/living quarters that is where you always live have your furniture items in. But you have a second places rented/ company puts you up temporarily in to do the job.
2) you put everything into storage somewhere nearby or far away and then move into an apartment near by the area of work...

Here are the problems
case 1) if the company doesn't pay for the second places then you have to pay temporarily for two living quarters. The upside is normally this is not an issue since the companies will pay in some way. Though how much compensation you get will determine if it is worth it. In the best case they pay the whole thing and more....

case 2) if you don't have a house and just rent but need your furniture/belongs each time you move. Then you must find a storage places or transport/move your furniture/belongings every where you go. This is a hassle and cost adds up the more you move probably more then just buying new items altogether. The up side is in the case you don't care about throwing your items totally out and just living in fully furnished apartments with minimal items and renting everything else. That way you can pick up and leave at anytime / just drive away to the next places.
Or paying for self storage once but never moving items again because you just want to save them but don't need them while moving all over/not having them close by is not an issue.

Ok I think I got most of my options down along with the nitty gritty of specifics like climate control / storage area ,....etc etc questions for more specifics. Just got to determine which of the 2 categories I want to fall into or prefer for moving items or not moving items (i.e 1 or 2 above )

Other deterring factors is leaving friends / family and location
Location would be good if climate is good , good atmosphere/people , attractive women , things to do , gyms , good food , good sites/activities...etc So location can be determined somewhat ahead of time but....

....Family/friends / fear of unknown is something that one has to make a decision on his own BLINDLY FOR THE MOST PART. Though I feel like I will miss them but also I feel I should explore and life my life and am curious if my life will improve or be more fun in another area. Though I am nervous of the fact my life could be worse in taking that chances. As well as nervous on will I be able to do everything for myself along the way there is a lot of decisions insurances policies , places ,jobs ,...etc to decide on thru the up coming years I would imagine.
Also the concern of doing good work , being liked ,...etc crop up but with this I have to look at it as if I don't change I will never know.

So I say I can only prepare so much until I have to say I don't know if it will work out but I have to try with a can do attitude.

Last edited:

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
BTW, a lot of moving companies will store your items. This is handy when you move your furnishings to another city since they will be delivered to the address of your next home (when you find it).