moving up from the breadboard

onebird

Joined Mar 27, 2010
I have always trusted my protoboard/breadboard from the beginning. Every project i've done has gone through thorough testing on it, nomatter how small or how complex.

Now I, out of sheer curiosity and need of knopwledge, wld like to know how one breadboard-tests suface-mount components like this one here http://home.comet.bg/datasheets/LCD%20Grafical/T6963c.pdf

Because it seems that, for some applications there are no alternative DIP types

onebird

Joined Mar 27, 2010
Thanks, I guess I could use that as a start. Since I am still at the research stage, I am sure by the time I begin doing anythingparticular, I would have found what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the nudge in the right direction

ian123

Joined Aug 24, 2011
i nomally make a break out on a pcb board with pins making pcb is easy once you have the baic tools . I have found now that when i make a design it is easier to make a prototype board do the testing and then make the final board . the reason i dont do breadboarding anymore is that a lot of time was wasted with bad connections getting eroneous results especialy with cpu etc.

I have a easy way to do boards if you would like to know just let me know

onebird

Joined Mar 27, 2010
@ian123, sure I'd like to know if there simpler methods to test out my circuits.
The option of using adapters seems quite appealing because I get to use my breadbroad with the same ease I am accustomed to. If u got more options, ian123, I am willing to hear what you've got.

And I just came across these PLCC-to-DIP adapters, which I think may suit my applicationhttp://www.batronix.com/shop/adapter/plcc-adapter.html

ian123

Joined Aug 24, 2011
@ian123, sure I'd like to know if there simpler methods to test out my circuits.
The option of using adapters seems quite appealing because I get to use my breadbroad with the same ease I am accustomed to. If u got more options, ian123, I am willing to hear what you've got.

And I just came across these PLCC-to-DIP adapters, which I think may suit my applicationhttp://www.batronix.com/shop/adapter/plcc-adapter.html
Sure they are good if you willing to pay the price but you could make them as well if you make a small pcb and pins.

if you have got a inkjet printer you can start by printing your "breakout" on clear film for inkjets ( make sure you set the printer to highest quality
i use the setting for glossy film paper.

then clean the board you are using with vim and steel wool so that it is shiny
clean the board with a lint free cloth and some acetone ( nail Varnish remover)
spray some positive 20 on the board and let dry for at least an hour

make a box with a mercury blended light bulb in it 160watt

place the board and the film in the lightbox for +- 7 mins to expose

mix a light solution of caustic soda and warm water and insert then board in it
this will develop the board
once the board is clean and the tracks are visible rinse the board with warm water to stop the development process

use ferric chloride to etch the board and wall you have a board.

please note that caustic soda is dangerous so use gloves and a plastic tweezer to manipulate the board.
ferric chloride is also poisonous so try no to inhale it. it will also discolour your skin if you touch it.

you can make a board in about an hour and a half and YOU MADE IT. which means that you can change it any time.

enjoy