Moving to DipTrace for pcb design

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
After spending several days with Proteus, and having several problems I didn't have the time to deal with, I decided to switch back to DipTrace.

DipTrace had been one of the programs I had tried, but I found the tutorial added too many things I didn't need. But I decided to give it another try, pulling the stages or steps I didn't need.

So I designed the schematic and did my first conversion to pcb, which I hadn't been able to with Proteus.

Got my first ratsnest, which I am now trying to re-arrange in order to make the pcb tracks.

If anyone has experience with DT please let me know, because I have several questions.

One of them is that I decided to separate one part of the schematic, because it will go on a different board, and I don't know how to do that.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
One of them is that I decided to separate one part of the schematic, because it will go on a different board, and I don't know how to do that.
This is not the best forum for this question. The general or projects forum may get you more visability.

Diptrace is one of the few programs I have not used, but in all other packages the basic tasks go as schematic -> (rule check 1) -> netlist -> PCB layout -> (rule check 2). There are other steps (like assigning footprints to components) but that is the overall flow.

Many packages will stall until rule check 1 is complete and passing.

The PCB layout rule check checks *everything* in the schematic is down in the copper. So if you wish to build two different boards you need two different schematics.

That is not as hard as it seems since you already have both: save schematic under two new names, then blast thru each one deleting the parts intended for the other board.

Status
Not open for further replies.