Movies that make you smile?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Just started watching "Wednesday" in Netflix. High quality dialog, very entertaining and well written. I loved the Addams Family tv show when I was a kid, and Tim Burton has masterfully kept its essence whilst transporting it to modern times.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Last week was a win on Netflix. First of all Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio is amazing! But speaking of comedies, i found a political satire "La ley de Herodes" that was quite captivating and funny. I only wish I new the language and had the lived experience to fully appreciate the movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221344/
that movie is a classic ... it's funny-depressing as hell

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It is. I hope more people watch it. It is a perfect picture of politics. Excellent dark comedy. I just couldnt help but think how much nuance I am missing. I need to get back to my spanish learning "project" that got abandoned
Do you know what the title of the movie stands for?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
There is a new show about a Korean Attorney with autism spectrum disorder (Asburgers) on Netflix. Cute and family oriented - the subtitles are quick. They do a good job working the symptoms and issues into a natural storyline that isn't about autism.
"Extraordinary Attorney Woo"
https://www.netflix.com/watch/81518991
Already watched it all ... except for one chapter which I found particularly childish and stupid, I found it very entertaining and brilliantly scripted.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Which episode.
... the one about the guy who kidnapped a group of kids in a school bus and took them to a day of fun and games instead ... but that is just my taste, probably other people enjoyed it much more than I did because I don't completely get Korean humor.

But as I said, other than that, I loved the series.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://decider.com/2022/12/09/guillermo-del-toro-interview-pinocchio-ai-art/
My last question: This movie is a painstaking labor of art. Right now, artificial intelligence art is in the spotlight for cutting artists out of the process, often without their permission. Have you been following that at all, and how do you feel about it?

I think that art is an expression of the soul. At its best, it is encompassing everything you are. Therefore, I consume, and love, art made by humans. I am completely moved by that. I am not interested in an illustration made by machines and the extrapolation of information. I talked to Dave McKean, who is a great artist. And he told me, his greatest hope is that AI cannot draw. It can interpolate information, but it cannot draw. It can never capture a feeling, or a countenance, or the softness of a human face, you know? Certainly, if that conversation was being had about film, it would hurt deeply. I would think it, as [Hayao] Miyazaki says, “an insult to life itself.”

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
... the one about the guy who kidnapped a group of kids in a school bus and took them to a day of fun and games instead ... but that is just my taste, probably other people enjoyed it much more than I did because I don't completely get Korean humor.

But as I said, other than that, I loved the series.
It was less about humor and more about the severe competition parents feel about manufacturing successful children. The hours of non-stop classes and after hours tutoring/advanced classes is crazy - especially the months of drill/practice it takes a 10-year old to understand (memorize) some calculus whereas, they can learn in hours once their brains develop more as mid-late teenagers. Stupid social one-ups-manship between parents ruining their kids' childhoods (I watched it last night - less about funny and more about disrupting social norms).

demoplayer

Joined Dec 28, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/edie-falco-shot-avatar-2-four-years-before-release-1235465720/

Edie Falco Shot ‘Avatar 2’ So Long Ago She Thought It Already Got Released and Flopped: ‘It Hasn’t Come Out Yet?’

This whole movie should have been HFR. The switching around was dumb. Seems like Cameron wanted to satisfy everyone. And it changes on a shot by shot basis almost like they let a computer decide where to use it.

The movie itself was mostly pointless. It was nothing but a setup for another sequel. I've long since passed the point of being impressed by spectacle. Give me a good story. I appreciate the emphasis on character and <Vin Diesel Voice> FAMILY but that wasn't enough.

And it seems like they were contractually obligated to resurrect every actor from the last film no matter how contrived the circumstance.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I couldn't understand why a second Avatar movie was made. The whole first movie was made around a phrase, "unobtanium" which he thought was a word he made up - but the word has been used in the engineering community for years - the 1950s and possibly earlier.

The storyline from the original movie was thin at best. The sequel sounds even worse. A technological effort looking for a story.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The sequel sounds even worse.
Can I infer from your comment that you haven’t seen it? It is much better than the original. With the emphasis on family, Cameron has raised the property from a fable to a drama. It is a better mix of color, fable, drama, action, politics AND family. I believe it succeeds on many dimensions. It looks like the naysayers focus on one thing and miss the contributions of the holistic film. The original was in fact two movies in one. The first half was a fable; the second half was action/ adventure. The sequel does not suffer from this dichotomy. And the introduction of the family storyline also does not suffer from an overly simplistic treatment. The individual personalities are well developed (probably contributing to the 3+ hour runtime).

Overall, a very successful movie.