Movies that make you smile?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Of course belonging to India and of low class there was no way this could be possible.!
The same reaction happened with the Royal Society towards John Harrison on inventing the Chronometer, there was no way a self educated carpenter could come up with it!
Max.
A small correction. John Harrison (not to be confused with Kahn's alias, a character played by Benedict Cumberbatch in "Star Trek, Into Darkness" :)) was a carpenter that became a self-educated clock maker...

It's actually one of my favorite history books ever:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003WUYE66

Edit: has his life story ever been made into a movie?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
A small correction. John Harrison (not to be confused with Kahn's alias, a character played by Benedict Cumberbatch in "Star Trek, Into Darkness" :)) was a carpenter that became a self-educated clock maker...

It's actually one of my favorite history books ever:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003WUYE66

Edit: has his life story ever been made into a movie?
The book is great. I have given away numerous copies over the years. My main disappointment was a lack of pictures. This is partly corrected in the illustrated version.

Yes! I would love to see a well done movie version. :D

Wait... Lots of possibilities here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lngitude+documantary&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Since getting my online Android/Kobi box I have been watching some older movies, 'An Inspector Calls' J.B. Priestly was a good one, with a twist..
Max.
Hola Máx,

Could you help? I went twice to Play Store but could not identify what to download. ??

Way too many related apps but no "box" as you call it.

I accept I could be having it right in front of me but...

Android 9.6 tablet here, 2 months old.

Gracias

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Agustin, The box I use is Android based but specialty produced and already loaded with the sites such as Kodi, Utube etc. http://www.streamteammedia.com/
It comes with an air mouse which is handy for quick access.

But if you can download and install one of the main portals called Kodi, previously known as Xbox, then you should be able to port all the Show sites/add-on's.
Search Kodi.
You would access and install it through a browser on the tablet.
One of the most popular add-ons for Kodi is Exodus, all the latest movies and shows.
Max.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
In case you haven't seen them lately, Netflix added:

Blazing Saddles (1974)

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

I am a Jack Black fan so I liked:
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny (2006)

Also, in case you have kids that haven't seen the first one,
The Jurassic Park series was also released.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Jim Carey, most of his stuff I don't care for and I think "he - they" could have chosen a better actor for "The number 23" and actually wish someone could write a book rather than a film.

However, I was surprise by it, as a Murder Mystery not an all time favorite. But, I didn't feel it was a waste of time.

kv

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
this one makes me smile and cry...

the translation is wuite good. The language used is very difficult to translate...

The title though should be "Only Aces go to Battle" as in russian the use of "old men" here is in the context of experienced pilots, hence aces. Sadly you will see from the movie one became an ace rather quickly...

I hope some of you watch it, it is a very kind movie, really a utopia of sorts. It was actually made by a Ukranian studio and the main actor was from Ukraine.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A while ago I picked up the CD's of the interviews that David Frost did with ex president Nixon carried out over a series of weeks.
A fascinating watch.
Frost purportedly paid Nixon 5M US for it, as Nixon was almost broke at that point.
When originally aired the premiere episode drew 45 million viewers, the largest television audience for a political interview in history — a record that still stands today.
I always had a interest in Nixon's career from his wish to become president of the U.S. to his campaigns with Billy Graham at his side railing on about 'Those Russian Atheists' (the cold war was still on).
To of course water gate etc.
To conform to the intention of the thread title, one comment from Nixon made me chuckle, he was relating to how he and Khrushchev had a meeting on Khrushchev's boat sitting AFT at the Front of the boat!
This in spite of he being a ex US Naval Man!:D
Max.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Three characters? Alec Guinness played the parts of EIGHT members of the D'Ascoyne family in Kind Hearts And Coronets (1949). A very funny and enjoyable comedy.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not one to make you smile, but a good movie, nominated for an Oscar.
"Incendies".

"This is a plot for a thriller, really, and Denis Villeneuve's Oscar-nominated "Incendies" doesn't shy away from that truth. But it wants to be much more than a thriller and succeeds in demonstrating how senseless and futile it is to hate others because of their religion. Most people do not choose their religions but have them forced upon themselves by birth, and the lesson of "Incendies" is that an accident of birth is not a reason for hatred."
Max.

Last edited: