Move a SD slot and wire it

JohnCase

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Hello,
I need to move a MicroSD slot from a PCB and place it in a more convenient place. Is it possible just by wiring it ?

I mean: can I solder wires (20cm) from the original slot to another slot (on another PCB) or may it be a problem?

Thank you!

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I've jumpered a standard SD socket on a breakout board to a breadboard, probably only about 5cm though. SD uses the SPI bus so it may be worth looking up the spec for that to see if there are limits on capacitance, etc.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The distance does not appear to be too great.

Wiring these connectors can be a major PITA. My success rate was near chance until I found cheap breakout boards on EBay.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
We have a micro-SD card reader for Arduino. It came with two sets of cables. One about6" and one about 18". The 18" cables to not work with SD. So, I would say, it depends. It depends how good your signal is at the current SD location. An additional 8" (20 cm) may or may not make a difference. The only way to know is to try it. Any wiring goobers, high resistance connections or solder globs that cause increased capacitance will also have a negative impact. Nothing you can do to make a positive impact other than add a power booster but that will cause timing delays. Sorry.

JohnCase

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Thank you all! This forum is always wonderful and fast!

I'll try on my specific application (a TFT display, Arduino compatible). I will inform you about.

Thank you again!
Cheers.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
The distance does not appear to be too great.

Wiring these connectors can be a major PITA. My success rate was near chance until I found cheap breakout boards on EBay.
Just for info I found that there are (at least) two types of micro SD socket, the front entry type where you push the card in and then push it again and it pops out and a flip-up type where you place the car on top of the connector and then drop a cover down and slide it to lock. The front entry type has the pins underneath and I found placing and soldering these almost impossible by hand. The flip-up type, whilst not as easy to insert and remove the card, is much easier to solder because you can see the connectors when the cover is flipped up.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When I have successfully soldered these things I did it on a standard (not micro) card holder that had tabs out the back end similar to an SOIC package. Most of these I could fudge onto 0.1 inch pads. There is one pair of closely spaced pins that needed a little donut surgery with an exacto and a small jumper. There were also two ground tabs on the side, these were also soldered mainly for mechanical strength.

When all is said and done today I will get an adaptor board and use that.