Motion Sensor with Battery

Merrya

Joined Feb 28, 2017
Hello forum : )

I want to create a motion-sensor that triggers, whenever something is interrupting its sensor-ray. Sadly, I have no socket around that place, therefore I require something with a low energy consumption and battery.

Battery can be charged over night, no need for 24/7. 10 hours are enough!
I would like to connect wireless with an LED-light, too - informing me, whenever something hit the motion-ray (animals). Motion-Ray does not need to be long, door-frame length.
Additionally, I need some sort of wireless connection. I might use SSH instead of an LED, too.

Is Arduino/Genuino a viable solution for this?
Or maybe C.H.I.P? Though they are just small computers, so I doubt they could live from a battery that long.

I have no idea about batteries... rechargeable would be great!

I would rather not spend too much on this - staying around 30€ but probably not doable (especially with the battery).

Thanks a lot for your time : )

Merrya

Joined Feb 28, 2017
Ohh, thanks! As I have barely experience... these work with nearly all microprocessors?
The radio link refers to a lot of products that can be used on a Pi and Arduino.
Which of these would you recommend for such a project?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
As you only need to transmit a signal from the radio link when the the PIR is activated, it would be OK to choose the lowest cost radio pcbs.
What range in metres is the transmitter to the receiver , distance.?
When the PIR detects movement it will output a 3volt signal, you could arrange for this signal to switch on the 433 transmitter.
E

EDIT:
This option looks OK.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/kwmobile-m...F8&qid=1488285406&sr=8-66&keywords=PIR+sensor

Merrya

Joined Feb 28, 2017
Thanks!
When I would go the LED-route, it is only 3 metres.
Not sure if I really want to go that route, as I would need another microcomputer for receiving.
It shall be a very basic thing, I think going via WiFi is easier as I could connect to my router and communicate via that to my computer.

I would just want to have an sound-signal on my headphones, therefore receiving some signal on my computer that starts this signal would be great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kwmobile-m...06&sr=8-66&keywords=PIR+sensor#productDetails
Seems interesting, thanks : )

Are there any batteries recommended?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
There are many different battery technologies available, do you have any sort of battery charger on your work bench.?
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Oh, how would I connect these? Would you recommend an Arduino/Genuino for this or something else?
hi M,
You have changed the specification posted in your first post, that's not a problem
So could you re-confirm what you are trying to achieve with this project.?

I will try to help you thru it.:)
E

Merrya

Joined Feb 28, 2017
I'm sorry!

So, I want a motion-sensor that transmits a signal "to me".
"To me" means, either via an LED blinking or a sound signal on my headphones.
The LED blinking seems to be a bit too much, as I would require a second device (may it be whatever: Pi, Arduino, ...) to receive the signal.
Therefore, I would want to transmit this signal to my computer (via the router?).
I'm not sure, if I use an SSH connection via my router to the device, if I can create a sound, though.

It would be the best, if I could send the signal to some backend-software on my computer (maybe programming something to receive specific content).
I have a wlan-module on my computer, not sure if that could be used...

The sensor needs some kind of battery, because (as mentioned already) I have no socket their and it needs to run for quite some time but not 24/7 - I can recharge the battery over night and during some part of the day.

All distances are within 10 metres~.

Thanks a lot for your patience and help : )!!

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I would say the simplest solutions are:
1. Run a 4 core cable from the PIR unit to a LED display [ LED's which flash at 1sec rate are available].
locate the LED within your viewing area.
Connect the LED module to your PC's USB 5Vout, this will power the PIR and Flashing LED.

2. Same PIR wiring as above, but run the PIR's Output signal to the CTS input of your PC.
Write a simple program to check the state of the CTS line and if active Beep the PC's internal speaker.
If you do not have a RS232 connector on your PC, get a RS232 to USB adaptor unit.
Download a free Prolific USB/RS232 driver and program the PC to detect a TXD 'error' signal.

E

Merrya

Joined Feb 28, 2017
Oh, thanks : )
Just two questions: What microprocessor would you use for this?

The other question relates to what Kjeldgaard said:
Is that a certain technology or a product? If its a product, I would rather want to build something myself.