Motion Sensor w/ Delay Relay & Motor - Automated Halloween Candy Dispenser

mellylou

Joined Sep 25, 2020
Hello there!

I'm new to this forum and am in the midst of a project for Halloween, which I cannot seem to figure out. A disclaimer: I've only done low-voltage LED wiring before this and I'm a designer, not an engineer, so I'm in the learning phase. I'm making a trigger activated candy dispenser and the reason for the delay relay, is I don't want the motor engage continuously (basically, so kids can't steal all the candy--they have to wait like 5-10 seconds for the next turn). I've tried to power the load, as well as the trigger, via the delay relay, but once the power hits the motor, it just turns on by it's own, bypassing the switch and relay. Also, the motion sensor does not seem to work, but I've tried two different makes and I think it's me that's the problem. Anyone have any bright ideas, or suggestions for additional or different parts, video tutorials? I'm at a loss.

The Goals
  1. Create a motion sensor activated candy dispensing machine, to social distance this Halloween. I know--I could create a candy chute, but this is so much more fun!
  2. Need the delay relay, or some intermediary device, so that there is a delay between each candy dispense, so kids don't turn the dispenser into a candy fountain. ;-)

The Problems:
  1. Motion sensor switch does not turn on motor when connected through delay relay
  2. If I power the load w/ the delay relay power source, it engages the motor, bypassing the delay relay
  3. If I power the load independently, it engages motor continuously

The Parts:
1 @ 24V DC Power Supply 2A 48W AC/DC Adapter 100~240V with 5.5mmx 2.5mm 2.1mm
1 @ 12V 24V PIR Sensor LED Motion Sensor
1 @ Greartisan DC 24V 20RPM Gear Motor High Torque Electric Micro Speed Reduction Geared Motor Centric Output Shaft 37mm Diameter Gearbox

drive.google.com/file/d/140e4SK0qJLH66WoIRFw0w8wd8DoA1Enj/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1LA0uodg61uiPwSu-hDgCDWBGQy9STWu5/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1j-mrreADsyWhkzPCedOR2NHmlzSV0FTl/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1jIuV6Hq9wPYkWswdn8-n_LyjHLwX2Y87/view?usp=sharing
https://www.droking.com/cs/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/200350.jpg

Thanks for anyone's time and mind they put into this--it's appreciated and I'm hoping to do even more next Halloween!

All my best,
Melly Lou

mellylou

Joined Sep 25, 2020
Oh wow! No I have not noted the minimum delay on time is 1 minute--so much candy would be dispensed! Do you have any recommendations for a PIR sensor that might have a more flexible delay time?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Most low cost PIR's do not have a power drive output, usually 3V at 10mA.!

You need to add extra electronics between the PIR Timer and the Motor drive.
or use a PIR with a few second delay and power electronics for the motor.

E

Update:
Is the display used to show information to the Candy recipient or is it just a part of the internal assembly.?

more:
What time interval between candy bar dispensing is required.?

Last edited:

mellylou

Joined Sep 25, 2020
About 4 seconds to dispense 3 mini candy bars and I'd like a 10 second delay between dispensing. Thank you for breaking this all down for me into layman terms, it is appreciated.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi m,
Checking the timed periods required ie: 4sec bar dispense time [ for 3 bars] and 10sec 'bars' delay interval, the CECOMINOD004878 is not suitable for the project, as the pre settable On time is limited to 1Min thru 10Min period.

If you have a sketch of the mechanical bar feed mechanism, post it and we can suggest a electronics module.

The Parts you have on the bench.
1 @ 24V DC Power Supply 2A 48W AC/DC Adapter 100~240V with 5.5mmx 2.5mm 2.1mm
1 @ 12V 24V PIR Sensor LED Motion Sensor
1 @ Greartisan DC 24V 20RPM Gear Motor High Torque Electric Micro Speed Reduction Geared Motor Centric Output Shaft 37mm Diameter Gearbox

What is the current required for 24v the motor.?

E

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
There is a possibility it could work with the PIR and relay module on hand depending on the output when power is first applied to the PIR.
If the output switches ON when power is applied it's a no go. If not is there a delay time before it's active and how long?
From reading customer reviews the output of the PIR switches the negative lead to the load. Whether that will work with the low level signal input on the relay module is another issue.
EDIT: If the TS could answer that second line above would be helpful.

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi m,
This clip from your image shows a 1 second timing resolution, when I web searched yesterday that spec said 1 Minute minimum.
Can you try setting for say 4seconds and see if it works OK.?
E

Attachments

mellylou

Joined Sep 25, 2020
Above is the diagram of how I had wired this initially, which because the motor does not have power, it does not work. I tried to power the load off the P.S., as was recommended by the manufacturer, but the load then bypassed the relay, running continuously. I'm using the motor to turn the knob of a dispenser, with a paddle like mechanism. It takes very little torque to turn the knob and I think this motor should be sufficient (even with the mini candy bars inside).

I have another PIR too, but adjustments are wonky and not sure again if it's me or the sensor. The good thing is it appears to be able to accommodate the 4 second runtime.

Motor Specs:
Rated Voltage: DC 24V
Reduction Ratio: 1:244
No-Load Speed: 20RPM
No-Load Current: 0.1Amp
Rated Torque: 10Kg.cm
Rated Current: 0.3Amp
D Shaped Output Shaft Size: 6*14mm (0.24" x 0.55") (D*L)
Gearbox Size: 37 x 29.5mm (1.46" x 1.16") (D*L)
Motor Size: 36.2 x 33.3mm (1.43" x 1.31") (D*L)
Mounting Hole Size: M3 (not included)

Alternate PIR Sensor
Brand: Sensky
Model: GKG0103W0000L
713rGxH6L4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi m,
Some PIR's are retriggerable, ie: if it senses a second PIR signal it will continue timing with output set On.

Also it takes some PIR's a while after being switched On to settle down, say about 1 minute, during which time it will set and High and Low.

E