Most boring Super Bowl ever

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I didn't waste a single second on the game this year. In past years, I'd watch the half time performance, but wasn't even interested in that this year. The only interesting thing would have been the commercials; I'm sure they'll be available somewhere on the internet...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
As for commercials, I thought "Avocados from Mexico" was funny. Of course, maybe you have to have a dog to appreciate it.

As for the game, I only watched the first half and enjoyed both the good defense and Belichick's game plan. Instead of having Brady pass, pass, pass, etc. Belichick controlled the ball from the start and not only kept the score down, but kept Goff from winning the game for the LAR's. In other words, the other team can't win if its QB doesn't get to touch the ball much. Even the Ram's coach admitted he was out coached.

I would much rather watch a game like that than one in which the last team with the ball wins. As they say, defense wins championships.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@jpanhalt I agree with you totally.

First, in the AFC championship game, it was pass, pass, pass. Belichik had stated he wanted to build an early lead. I’m sure he felt that LA (Los Angelos, not Louisiana) would prepare for that. So what does he do? He plays possession football instead. First quarter, LA only had the ball for three minutes. Any team is not going to score a lot in three minutes.

Michel and Burkhead were running all over the Rams defense. The Rams eventually caught on. And then the Pats changed their game plan. They mixed it up and Brady was unpredictably passing all over the field.

Meanwhile when he had the ball, Goff was always under pressure. If he wasn’t sacked, New England hit him to the ground. It’s hard to think clearly when you’re on you butt. This led to Pro Bowler Stephan Gilmore’s INT. It also led to a poor pass that was hit away. Both plays could have put LA back in the game.

Defense and coaching were what made this Super Bowl unique and resulted in joy for New Englan fans.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
First quarter, LA only had the ball for three minutes. Any team is not going to score a lot in three minutes.
So how many points did New England score with all that time of possession in the first quarter?

Michel and Burkhead were running all over the Rams defense.
So how many points did they score while running all over their defense?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
As a Pats fan, I found the game less stressful than expected. Odd game for the Pats offense. Brady seemed to be able to hit Edelman and Gronk, but no one else. More common is for him to use 5 or 6 different receivers.

Bob

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So how many points did New England score with all that time of possession in the first quarter?

So how many points did they score while running all over their defense?
The objective of possession football is not to score points. Especially against another capable offense. It is two-fold.

The first objective is to keep the ball from your opponent.

The second objective is to stress your opponents defense, tiring them out so they are less effective when points count.

Scoring points with this strategy early in the game is secondary. Nice to have, but not a primary objective. Points scored only count at the end of the game and when they are more than the points your opponent have scored.

This is less dramatic during the regular season where there is a greater disparity in teams and their play. But when you have the two best teams from a population of thirty two, games will and must be played with different strategies. If a coach tries to play with a strategy used during the regular season, he will most likely lose. As the Rams discovered.

If you are a football fan, specifically a Patriots fan, you recognize this right away. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, “Why didn’t Brady pass?” Its because he knows a running play will eat up much more of the game clock and those seconds may prevent his opponent from catching up.