Mosfet overheationg IRF540

phys8

Joined Sep 16, 2021
Hello I'm using this schema but my problem is that the mosfet is overheating can you ell what exactly the problem

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Any transistor operating in the linear region is going to act like a resistor and will get hot.
What size of heat sink is the transistor mounted?

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
It looks as though your transistor is turned full on, and will be a short circuit to ground. What's this circuit mean to be doing, anyway?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi phys,
What is the resistance and inductance of the coil, also confirm the value of the input capacitor.
Is that 5Vrms or 5V peak.?
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi phys,
This is what LTSpice shows, you may have a component or wiring fault.
I have assumed a1H inductance.
The plot looks OK [ Corrected]
EEG 1003.png

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The magnetic field at 50Hz in the extremely low inductance will be very close to zero. We do not know if the input signal is 5Vp-p when many IRF540 Mosfets do nothing or if the input is 5V peak when some sensitive IRF540 Mosfets produce a squarewave output.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If your inductor is 5ohms and your power supply is 7v, then about 1.4amps is going into the mosfet. 7v isn't turning it all the way on so the mosfet is likely a bit over 0.2 ohms to 0.5 ohms load. At 1.4 amps, that is 0.35 to 0.7 watts.
Your MOSFET will definitely be hot to the touch and possibly burn you. It may not be too hot per the datasheet. Please define "overheating". Hot or damaged?

also, there are many modern MOSFETs that. Will be a few milliohms when the gate is at 5-7V. No heat there to worry about.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Maybe the very low value "inductor" shown in the image measures 0.5 ohms like a piece of wire and the meter leads measure 5 ohms?
There is a sinewave input. Does he want a sinewave output?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I think it would be difficult to wind a wire with 5.5 Ω into an inductor that is only 18nH unless it is a special high resistance wire.

As an example, 1 turn 1cm in diameter air core is 20 nH

Bob

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Then the Mosfet would rectify the signal and produce only a little of the top part of the waveform.
Thanks for your mentioned, I'm too digitalized to think about the circuit and forget the signal is a sinewave, but if you choose the Vgs(on)=2.5V then maybe the results doesn't that bad.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
My schematic is like that
The 47uF capacitor polarity is backwards and its value is much higher than is needed for audio frequencies.
The Mosfet will rectify the signal then the output is pulsing halves of a sinewave.
The 10k resistor will turn on the Mosfet when there is no input signal which might waste a lot of power and heat the inductor.