MOSFET Driver - Vcc=+5v

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
From what I remember of the Max621 datasheet, it provides a gate drive of Vcc + about 10V. The gate voltage it provides is independent of the voltage you attach to the load and mosfet. Thus, it should work with either 5 or 12 volts. Be sure your motor gives the power you need at 5V, though.

The bertus circuit will not work with only 5V attached to the load, because it does not include any method to increase the voltage to the 8 to 10 volts you need at the mosfet gate.

John
 

Thread Starter

nztech

Joined Feb 24, 2009
44
the load is attached to 12V lead acid battery.
Just to clarify:
The electronics is fed by a +5v supply.
The load is attached to 12V

hence can the mosfet be fed 10V via the MAX621 if the MAX621 rail voltage is only +5V?
This is the question I really need to understand.
Cheers
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
I just noticed that the Max622 does the same thing and comes in an 8-pin package. If you don't need the four channels, it would save some space.

John
 

Thread Starter

nztech

Joined Feb 24, 2009
44
Also I cannot locate one from a local supplier.... I use mouser.com.
Any suggestions from this would be great.
 

Thread Starter

nztech

Joined Feb 24, 2009
44
Also I cannot locate one from a local supplier.... I use mouser.com.
Any suggestions from this would be great.
 

Thread Starter

nztech

Joined Feb 24, 2009
44
4 outputs for clarification - Sorry after an alternative as local suppliers don't stock.
mouser.com - supplier
 

Thread Starter

nztech

Joined Feb 24, 2009
44
4 outputs for clarification - Sorry after an alternative as local suppliers don't stock.
mouser.com - supplier
 

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
11,087
This is one case where DigiKey may not be the best bet. The NZ site shows the price as $14,209.86 in lots of 1000 plus shipping. Those must be NZ dollars. In the US it is only a bit more than $6,000.00 for 1000. :D

It is also not RoHS compliant.

John
 
Top