MOSFET driver: popular, cheap, all-in-one for analog PWM?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Following my own advice, I should actually point out the problems here instead of just saying they are bad assumptions.:rolleyes:
assume that the driver's output resistance is 100R (typical for a 555-class driver
The data sheet for the 555 shows a voltage drop from the rails of about 2 volts at 100 ma. so the output looks more like 20 ohms than 100 ohms.
with 430R external resistance that brings total resistance to 500R
There is no reason to use such a large resistor in line with the gate if the frequency is not to high for the power dissipation in the 555. Maybe 25 ohms in series with the gate. Then using Danny's numbers.
I usually to 2x rc time constant (slightly less than 10/90%) and that makes it 4us. and I need to cross that twice (off->on and on-> off) each cycle so 8us.
Using the lower resistance the time where it is half on and half off is only about315ns X 2 or 630ns instead of 8 us. out of a cycle of 50us. - so only about 1.25% of the cycle is spent here. Or less than .45 watts. The IR drop of a FET with 5 milliohms is about .5 watts as well.
It is fairly easy to find FETs with lower gate capacitance that still have pretty low on resistance.
It is also very difficult to find a rule of thumb to describe turn on/off time.

Peterk76

Joined Sep 27, 2017
I've created many projects using MOSFETS, but never with a driver, I don't have any drivers in my junk box.
Currently, I'm working with analog PWM modulators, driving motors.

I'm looking for an easy to use driver, that will work with analog inputs, 555 PWM designs, or comparitor-PWM, etc.

Can anybody share their recommendations for a popular, east to use, easy to find, and hopefully inexpensive MOSFET driver?

???

I'd like to order a handful to have at my workbench. I want to avoid building drivers from discrete parts
like this one:

Thanks!
For future reference of people with similar question, they can choose from CGD15FB45P1 , GDA-2A6S1 or SKHI 23/17 R .
Recommending these 3 because they are simple plug and play and i have personally used them. Besides these are cheap as well.