More pins than sockets?

lrubin28

Joined Jan 22, 2017
Hi - sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm putting together a kit, and the maker must have substituted one chip for another. The parts list says the chip is a 4066 but the chip they sent me is a 4060. I know how to tell what a part is ( capicator, diode, IC) etc - but that's about the extent of my knowledge.
Anyway, my question is that the socket they gave me has 14 pins (the 4060), but the chip has 16 pins. I assume this was done to substitute, but I don't know if that's true, and if it is, which pins don't go in the socket (I'm guessing 8, 9). If it matters, the chip is next to a 4093.
I hope this means something to someone, because I have no clue and couldn't find anything on the internet. It's an old kit so I'm not sure the maker is still even in business....thanks in advance. Larry

maitchy

Joined Jan 22, 2010
Don't plug a 4060 into a socket for a 4066 - they are quite different chips. Tell the kit supplier of their mistake and ask for them to swap it (or you could simply buy a CD4066 quad bilateral switch reasonably cheaply, if you are lucky enough to have a retail electronics store nearby or you can wait for mail order from the likes of Mouser).

lrubin28

Joined Jan 22, 2017
Thanks!! I was just going to post that the people selling the kit got back to me and said the same thing!!

But if you're still here, I assume the socket is generic no? The socket doesn't matter does it?