Monitor Sub panel current by using embedded solution

karzo94

Joined Apr 3, 2018
Hello, there is main breaker box which we are trying to connect with sub panels of 50 amp breakers which are further connected with power converters which help to power up the machines, I wanted to test the ac load on power converter point by using embedded controller called particle photon and some current sensor which is easy to connect with Internet and send the reading analysis to database which also send some push notification when the current or peak voltage will not be there in desired range which is mentioned for desired range of specification,
Since I am not good in this kind of solutions, I found out current sensors which can be monitor the current range at maximum 70 amps https://store.ncd.io/product/2-chan...70-amp-ac-current-monitor-with-iot-interface/ and still learning and working with some tutorials and documentation besides that I still need some good suggestions so that I will not face any kind of damages while working with this kind of solutions

Working With this kind solution is much newer for me and I apologize in advance if am not able to share any kind of information.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
Within your post you state that you want the system to ‘send some push notification when the current or peak voltage will not be there in desired range’ – however the module only monitors current (and not voltage).

For what the unit does it seems quite expensive, although it is dual channel with a claimed accuracy of 3%. The compatibility section notes that the measurement reading should not be polled at a rate faster than once per second, is this fast enough for your proposed application?

Here are a couple of modules that may do what you want (monitor both current and voltage) that have USB connectivity. The second gives slightly more information on the USB output, but it is far from clear to me that easily available software can be sourced to make use of the device as you want.

Even so, if I were you I might consider buying the more expensive version which has integral displays of the voltage, current, power and energy – which could prove useful in comparison against your chosen solution (giving direct readings of these parameters for not much money).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC100A-E...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-80-26...cat=0&_nkw=ac+current+monitor&_from=R40&rt=nc

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Here is my suggestion. Sit down with a blank sheet of paper and a pencil with a good eraser. List all of the data you wish to collect, current, voltage and any other units. Then for each unit decide to what uncertainty and to what resolution you need or want. Once all of your parameters are well defined that will tell you things like how many measurement channels you need and how accurate they need to be. That done placing the data on a web page is not that difficult and there are plenty of simple turn key solutions available. When measuring parameters like AC Current or Voltage you need to decide if an average responding RMS indicating solution will do, is your signal a relative pure sine wave or do you need a true RMS responding RMS indicating transducer solution?

Will this be a one time test for a short period of time or will this be a permanent solution?
Even so, if I were you I might consider buying the more expensive version which has integral displays of the voltage, current, power and energy – which could prove useful in comparison against your chosen solution (giving direct readings of these parameters for not much money).
This leads to your budget? A quick and inexpensive solution can be had or a higher end solution can be built, all a matter of budget constraints and what will fulfill your specific needs .

Ron