Modifying SMPS from 12 volts to 13.6 volts

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
11,395
Bingo! It's a Tl431 zener, the two resistors 4701( 4.7k) 1201 (1.2k) set the voltage, you can make the 1.2k smaller or increase the 4.7k to get the ratios, i would go with the 1.2k and drop it to 1.06k by putting a 9601 (9.6k) in parallel , this will give you 13.6V output...

Vout now = (1+ 4k7 /1k2) x 2.5v= 12.3V.
Vout new = (1+ 4k7 /1k06) x 2.5v = 13.6V
 
Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
6,536
Working on getting the casing open - WITHOUT cutting flesh. Will know more when I have some actual circuitry in hand.
Rapping it round the join with a heavy screwdriver handle sometimes parts it without too much damage. Practice on a few scrap ones first.

If its too fiddly to hand trace the circuit - it probably won't be easy to modify.

Voltage sensing is usually a simple 2 resistor divider feeding a comparator (which might be in a TL431). You can calculate Vref from the original divider ratio and re calculate the resistors for the new voltage. The empirical method is adding high value resistors in parallel with the bottom divider resistor till the output comes up to what you want. If you use a pre set pot - put it in place of the bottom divider resistor in case the wiper comes loose.
 

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
11,395
Rapping it round the join with a heavy screwdriver handle sometimes parts it without too much damage. Practice on a few scrap ones first.

If its too fiddly to hand trace the circuit - it probably won't be easy to modify.

Voltage sensing is usually a simple 2 resistor divider feeding a comparator (which might be in a TL431). You can calculate Vref from the original divider ratio and re calculate the resistors for the new voltage. The empirical method is adding high value resistors in parallel with the bottom divider resistor till the output comes up to what you want. If you use a pre set pot - put it in place of the bottom divider resistor in case the wiper comes loose.
Did you not read post#25?
 

Thread Starter

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
9,744
Thanks Dave. Since there's a spot right next to it I'll peruse my stock of old boards and find one and lay it along side on the extra pads. May have to double up something to get a good resistance.
 

Thread Starter

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
9,744
Decision time:

I've decided to go with a fixed resistance of 6.6K Ω and a variable (10 turn) 5K Pot. That will give me an adjustable range of 13.3 volts to 14.1 volts. If I go with a lower fixed resistance, 4.7K Ω I can get a range of 13.48 to 14.8. Not a big fan of the possibility of pushing that supply that high, nor am I in favor of possibly way over charging a car battery. Going with a 10K (10 turn) Pot will allow me to drop the voltage down to 13 volts but I lose some of the adjustment sensitivity. Small moves make bigger jumps with the 10K. I also looked at 20 and 50K but don't care for the lack of sensitivity (too coarse) adjustment.

Thanks all for your help. And thanks Dave for noticing what I would have overlooked for days - the 431 device being the primary reference for the output. I MIGHT have figured it out - one day, but probably by then I'd have lost interest in the project. All that's left is to build into the box the fixed and variable resistance and make the pot accessible through the top.

Again, thanks all.
 

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
11,395
Ok, if you want to put a 5k multiturn pot in you can put a 1k pot also in series for fine adjustment if needed, to be on the safe side make sure you uprate the output capacitors to 25V, they're probably 16V rated now.
 

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
6,536
Did you not read post#25?
Do you have some objection to correct information
If your using it to charge a battery, it's necessary add a series diode. Schottky or regular. The former for a lower voltage drop.
That type of supply probably wouldn't be harmed - but some of the secondary side components would bleed away charge from the battery if power went down.
 

Thread Starter

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
9,744
For those who may be curious of the boards construction: I've taken a picture and cartooned it so I could color code some of the traces. I've also included as much information as possible regarding components, but because so much is under potting it's impossible to read without taking things off. Somewhere in text, first page probably, are some descriptions of some of the components.

SS Board Traced.png
 
Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
11,395
There is a circuit diagram on the datasheet, post#23, the extra primary winding( blue black) is for self power once it's kicked up on pin1, the main primary winding is Red Blue fed by the mosfet.
 

Thread Starter

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
9,744
Part Number FTA06N60D
VDss(V) 600
ID(A) 6
RDSON(ohm) 1.7
RDSON(ohm) 1.5
Qg(nC) 18
Ciss(pF) 720
Package TO-220F
This is the last part of the puzzle. Do you have a data sheet that shows pinout? On my circuit board it looks like pin 1 is a gate of some sort. I'd like to know more about that part.

Your assistance is appreciated.
 

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
11,395
Yes its on the datasheet i gave you in post#23. As a matter of overvoltage protection, remove the zener Zd1,across the output or the zero ohm link on it's anode.
 

Thread Starter

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
9,744
its on the datasheet i gave you in post#23.
That's the data sheet for the NE1109F. I've seen a data sheet for the MOSFET, the FTA06N60D, but there is only the one page and it contains a lot of Asian characters (Chinese - Japanese - I don't know). No pin out other than some information RichardO posted in post #14. Unless I'm missing something. I do that too often.
 
Top