Modern Technology Resistance

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
M/S saw what Ubuntu was doing for Amazon and got jealous. Nice thing about Linux is the choices are very open though.

Having said that, I've never worried too much about my privacy, unless someone is looking through a window.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
The sad thing is that if you ain't offline buisnessis and people can check you out. It's only matter of how hard you make it for them.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Windows 10 keeps trying to do a lot of things....none of which it will successfully get me to do...

The world is full of choices....choose wisely.
Like having to learn how to use an operating system that one is completely unfamiliar with at 51???

*sigh*, I'm afraid it might just come to that, in my case at least... @#12 has always had my respect, but it's doubled since I saw him fearlessly dive into the linux universe.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Like having to learn how to use an operating system that one is completely unfamiliar with at 51???
Is there anything that prevents you from downloading a copy and trying it? In fact, cut the time you spend on AAC by half, and you'll have more than you need to give Linux a spin.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Is there anything that prevents you from downloading a copy and trying it?
I'll give it a try on a new computer (assembled by myself) eventually... but as for spending half the time in AAC... well, I'd be missing your most interesting posts, wouldn't I? :p

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'll give it a try on a new computer (assembled by myself) eventually... but as for spending half the time in AAC... well, I'd be missing your most interesting posts, wouldn't I? :p
Try it on an old computer. You don't have to install it -- just burn it to a CD or USB flash drive.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Try it on an old computer. You don't have to install it -- just burn it to a CD or USB flash drive.
I'll seriously give it a thought... A few months ago I had to run a small linux OS on an USB stick so I could crack the password in a laptop running windows 8.1

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@#12 has always had my respect, but it's doubled since I saw him fearlessly dive into the Linux universe.
I'm going to have to run a Windows computer (without an Internet connection) to print 2-sided pages, use the scanner, use the Optical Character Recognition app, etc. but a Linux Distro isn't annoying my server. There are a multitude of programs that run on Linux but it takes time to learn what they do. I didn't know what "notepad" was until I opened it. It is a perfectly equal achievement to figure out what gedit is for. Familiarity is the word. You can't get familiar with Linux until you poke around in it, and the exact same is true for Windows.

Linux hides the list of installed apps until you learn what Gnome is. Windows hides applications, too. (From what I hear, it's only getting worse.)
The answer to both is familiarity.
It's probably the same with LTSpice.
Pick your poison. Whatever you work with on a regular basis will become familiar to you.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I'm taking the plunge and getting 10, BUT I'm getting a new computer. I have seen stored files and beloved music and pictures become corrupt or otherwise lost too many times. If everything works I can copy to a memory stick and upload to the new computer. Either way, it is time to change.
I regularly tease the data miners by purposely searching terms that I have zero interest in. Google up some trigger words like "Chinese political prisoner" "pipebomb" "designer drug" "biological warfare". And whatever else the gov. Wants to spy on. Teaparty terrorist, occupy Wallstreet, the list is endless and leaves the spies unable to catagories you into any one set of values.
Besides, sometimes you do find interesting information that you would not ordinarily encounter.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I regularly tease the data miners by purposely searching terms that I have zero interest in. Google up some trigger words like "Chinese political prisoner" "pipebomb" "designer drug" "biological warfare". And whatever else the gov. Wants to spy on. Teaparty terrorist, occupy Wallstreet, the list is endless and leaves the spies unable to catagories you into any one set of values.
I certainly hope you never have the need to fly somewhere urgently! Delays likely. The bright side is, you'll get a free colonoscopy.