MOC 3010, is it supposed to stay on ?

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Hi,

I want to turn on / off a light bulb (or whatever else) using a microcontroller, I used MOC 3010 to separate & protect the microcontroller, but the problem is that once the microcontroller turns it on, it does not turn off anymore.

It's the first time I use MOC 3010, and I don't know what else I can use...

karthik_dm

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Hi,

I want to turn on / off a light bulb (or whatever else) using a microcontroller, I used MOC 3010 to separate & protect the microcontroller, but the problem is that once the microcontroller turns it on, it does not turn off anymore.

It's the first time I use MOC 3010, and I don't know what else I can use...

try this schematic which uses MOC3041

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
If the load current isn't above about 250 milliamps, he might be able to use a logic level FET like a VN10LP.
I agree. There are also logic level MOSFETs that can handle a lot more current. He mentioned protecting the microcontroller, but has not come back to tell us what he needs to protect it from.

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Well, "protect" was a general word as in "just in case"...

I want to do several things, to turn on/off other parts (Lights, LEDs, motors, etc. all DC current), and also to regulate power (as in a DAC).

Before I asked this question: DAC with PIC16F877, but the only problem with that is that the ouput is 0 to ~4 volts.

I was thinking to do something like this:

Looking on google I found this, and I think it's what I need:
TLP521 − 1,TLP521 − 2,TLP521 − 4

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I don't think you can use one solution to solve all the problems you mentioned. If all you want is a digital output, here are a couple of basic methods. There are many variations, depending on what you want to do. These are just ideas, and resistor values may need to be changed to meet the requirements of the parts you use.
Connecting PIC ground to your output common (ground) defeats the purpose of an optocoupler, which is to isolate two power systems from each other. If you want to use common grounds, you don't need an optocoupler. A bipolar transistor or logic level MOSFET will do the trick.
When you want to post a schematic or other line drawing, save it first as a .PNG or .GIF instead of .JPG. The drawing will come out crisper, without the fuzzy artifacts of a .JPG, and it will also generally result in a smaller file.

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
for driving DC loads using microcontroller with electrical isolation, use an optocoupler like MCT2E,PC817,PC621 or any opto-transistor isolator package.at the output use a small DC Relay or a Transistor driver for driving the load.
Agreed, except input and output grounds should not be connected.