mobile/cell phone question

Phillip Lucas

Joined Mar 13, 2017
so I remember a world where we used dial up connection to transfer data. I know that the new networks are faster speeds, but they also cap the data.

so my question is, is there a way to have ultra slow data communication via the voice line? I thought about text messages but they get capped too and the telco I use are weird in that multiple messages come through in weird order.

the purpose of this is so I can make a home cloud to download pics, home automation etc without using data.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
so I remember a world where we used dial up connection to transfer data. I know that the new networks are faster speeds, but they also cap the data.

so my question is, is there a way to have ultra slow data communication via the voice line? I thought about text messages but they get capped too and the telco I use are weird in that multiple messages come through in weird order.

the purpose of this is so I can make a home cloud to download pics, home automation etc without using data.
Sure, just call home and ask to speak to Alexa. Then tell Alexa (your Amazon echo) to do what you need.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Maybe you are referring to this:

Eventually these modems connected directly to phone lines. I remember in the 1990's the first order of business when checking into the hotel was to unscrew the microphone cover on the telephone in the room and attach clip leads to it -the other end of the cable went to the modem in my laptop. After that was fiddling with the script to get the computer to connect with the local access point...online life is much easier now!

Phillip Lucas

Joined Mar 13, 2017
yup something like that,
but the thing is my telco offers unlimited phone calls and about 2gig of data. max in this country is about 10gig BUT is offered at more than $100 US per month.
so the question becomes can we use OLDER ideas to stream small packets? pictures from the home server etc?
also I was thinking while typing and thought to myself if I used the conference or hold function I could possibly transfer twice as much data.
I did see a guy ages ago transfer a video clip by converting to hex then transmitting morse code across the room where a second computer took the morse code turned it into a hex file and then the operator had to manually save it..... I think the idea was cool but maybe a code transmitted over voice (disengage the microphones for clarity) and use the line for data. I remember the old days we got 56kbps that is a start, maybe getting 112kbps would be a bit better thought.

Phillip Lucas

Joined Mar 13, 2017
actually a second thought occurred, if the devices used had some awesome tone detection on it, you could technically send multiple tones at once to create faster line connect.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The Commodore 64 computer used to load its software from a cassette tape, where it was coded as multiple tones. Took about 20mins to load as I recall. Not sure how many bytes that was, but methinks it would take a helluva long time to transfer, say, a 1meg file to your cloud that way.

Phillip Lucas

Joined Mar 13, 2017
http://www.download-time.com/
using this 3rd party no named calculator at maximum speed 56kbps it would take 2.5 minutes per channel. then there is compression software that was the norm in the days gone by, using compression you could get up to about 300kbps. this was part of the v92 and v44 hardware compression. if we get the compression used by Telco's then theoretically it could go to 1000kbps but I don't want to research that algorithm

the reason I am asking this is the server I want to set up is for things like household appliances, cloud storage and a few other things. I was thinking that by blocking out ALL numbers except mine AND putting a password on it that will also block my number after 10 unsuccessful login attempts (then you cannot remote access it has to be local) that this would provide one the more secured ways to store data.
yes off course if someone broke in and stole the setup it would be gone but the cloud storage will be backed up elsewhere so no hassle. and a quick image re-burn to an SD card and a new pi will get the house going again. I am not saying the system will be unable to be penetrated but the way I figure it, if you leave an ice cream in the street any one can grab it, put it in a house and only the determined can get to it. put it in a house of the beaten track and only the truly relentless will get to it.

Just thinking after the Wannacry issue an added layer of safety for personal pics and family stuff might be in order.

Phillip Lucas

Joined Mar 13, 2017
http://www.getpangea.com/
after research I found this app. close to what I want BUT I cannot download it in Australia for some reason and ONLY connects to the net. after research it is a viable thing but I suck huge at coding so will have to find someone that can replicate this