Mixed rant: where to post a complete project? - What are blogs actually for?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I started to wonder where to post few of my projects from the last years.

I will appreciate if anyone could enlighten me / comment on this:

What is the reason / convenience to post complete projects (or "articles"?) in a blog instead of a specific forum? Wasn't there one appropriate for that in the past?

Thanks to my recurrent insomnia, last night I discovered entries (@crutschow , @ericgibbs , @Hypatia's Protege, @joeyd999 and so many) that were a real surprise. But then, there are blogs with 0 posts, others asking typical questions for a forum :oops: and even some of the "Hello, this is my first post" style. More :oops: :oops: The top of the cake is the one titled "My life", kind of a spam of sorts, I guess. Even more :oops: :oops: :oops:

To get complete success in my search, the Google trick website:allaboutcircuits worked fine as usual.

I got the impression that very few outsiders ever visit the blogs; it seems that there are repetitive / "regular" visitors instead (albeit not many).

Access through my mobile (a reasonably functional Samsung J7) is painful if compared with my tablet or this laptop.

If anyone does a comment to a post in a certain blog, where does it should show up?

Sure I prefer the sub forum with the subject closer to my project. The duality forum/blog sounds rather weird to me.

Rant is over. Quarantine not yet.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...last night I discovered entries (@crutschow , @ericgibbs , @Hypatia's Protege, @joeyd999)...
Well, that's embarrassing -- thanks for pointing out an unfinished project.

I was going to use my blog to illustrate my PIC .asm framework and that it is easy and fun to develop high performance assembly code for the PIC -- adding additional complexity and functionality with each (small) blog post.

But I never have the the time to play, so I didn't get past the first post.

So that one post is dangling out there with no follow up, and I don't know if there ever will be.

It is seriously deficient as a stand-alone post...

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Well, that's embarrassing -- thanks for pointing out an unfinished project.

I was going to use my blog to illustrate my PIC .asm framework and that it is easy and fun to develop high performance assembly code for the PIC -- adding additional complexity and functionality with each (small) blog post.

But I never have the the time to play, so I didn't get past the first post.

So that one post is dangling out there with no follow up, and I don't know if there ever will be.

It is seriously deficient as a stand-alone post...
Exactly what I had in mind: showing upfront the "skeleton" I use for my projects and then, to show few of them with code and hardware.

I omitted in the OP the poor visibility that these blogs seem to give to whatever is posted there. I feel definitely reluctant to put anything there.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hello @atferrari - thanks for broaching this topic! 'tis nice to know said 'issue' isn't personal!:)

As you seem aware, I too was recently compelled to move a project (posted to 'Power Electronics') to my blog -- Although I have not yet received a response to my request for clarification as to the rationale back of said demand - I can but assume it's down to desired maintenance of on-topic public fora as interactive (i.e. Q&A) paradigms (as opposed to repositories of 'ebooks', etc...) -- Then too, my project was unfinished and I was actively discouraging on-thread responses...:oops:

I've no major issue with this save for my desire that the blog feature was more 'composition friendly' (Specifically, a means whereby a blogger might delete his/her own entries would be very helpful)!:)

I omitted in the OP the poor visibility that these blogs seem to give to whatever is posted there. I feel definitely reluctant to put anything there.
That needn't be a problem inasmuch as you may link your blog entries from your posts/threads...:cool:

Very best regards
HP

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
When I joined 10 years ago, the functions of the completed projects fora was clear. I also, being a newcomer, checked out the forum blogs. And my conclusion was that blogs was a underutilized feature, whose content was inconsistent and of little use. Hence, I became a participant in the Completed Projects sub-forum and rarely checked out a blog.

Then, my memory becomes fuzzy. Instead of posting development in a topic specific sub-forum, the sub-forum Projects appeared. With its inception the proper use of Projects/ Completed Projects become fuzzy as well.

Then, the two disappeared. I found many of the historical changes confusing and wished Projects would disappear while Completed Projects remained.

Just my 2 cents...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I agree with everything in your first paragraph. I think "completed" projects was a simple way for some of us to exercise our ego. I long championed that it needed an index, and Wendy took that task upon herself.

Unfortunately, the contrary view that sites such is AAC, EEVBLog, etc. are not archival has merit too. How many posters really search before posting?

Of course, we have the option of "WordPress" etc., but that's a pain. People who want to monetize their efforts may find such sites attractive. I am not part of that group, by far. It would be nice to have a simple venue to massage our egos. The hurdle presented by sites such as WordPress is really not worth it.

The problem with blogs is the absence of meaningful indexing. What good would be the (old) Encyclopedia Britannica without indexing? Despite Wendy's good intentions, I cannot foresee an unmoderated/unindexed resource of blogs being useful.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I agree with everything in your first paragraph. I think "completed" projects was a simple way for some of us to exercise our ego. I long championed that it needed an index, and Wendy took that task upon herself.

Unfortunately, the contrary view that sites such is AAC, EEVBLog, etc. are not archival has merit too. How many posters really search before posting?

Of course, we have the option of "WordPress" etc., but that's a pain. People who want to monetize their efforts may find such sites attractive. I am not part of that group, by far. It would be nice to have a simple venue to massage our egos. The hurdle presented by sites such as WordPress is really not worth it.

The problem with blogs is the absence of meaningful indexing. What good would be the (old) Encyclopedia Britannica without indexing? Despite Wendy's good intentions, I cannot foresee an unmoderated/unindexed resource of blogs being useful.
Plus, the content of blogs wasn’t focused like Completed Projects.

You could find anything in a blog. Hence, finding a completed project wasn’t guaranteed.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
It seems that my overall perception was not far from reality. Being honest, Wendy trying to keep an index up to date, always seemed to me an inhuman/hopeless task. I insist: website:allabout circuits work marvels with most of the sites of my interest.

I concluded that the idea of a member posting a complete project somewhere in this site is of no special interest to the owners.

If the current virus gives me time, I will try to post something in the sub forum deemed the most appropriate.

Thanks to all that answered :); please, keep you safe until this horrible experience is over. Today, had to tell my son in law to not bring again my grandson until we can walk freely in the streets again.

Be well.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
And in the Blogs, what is the 'Series' section intended to contain? At present it's empty.
To me it feels as if the site 'improvements' are dumbing the site down and steering it towards a social-media format. We've got more than enough social media already.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
And in the Blogs, what is the 'Series' section intended to contain? At present it's empty.
To me it feels as if the site 'improvements' are dumbing the site down and steering it towards a social-media format. We've got more than enough social media already.
You mean you don't link you posts to social media? It's been made easy to do:
1584965121511.png

;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
For now, post them into any of the forums you feel it would match up withe best. I will be rewriting the rules for the Completed Projects Index (CPI from here on). I have some learning issues to deal with first. I will state the requirement for being in the CPI wil lbe very tight indeed. Things like local hosting of pictures and whatnot are not changing. The report button will figure heavily in whatever system we, he staff, come up with.

While demoralized and sheltering in place I am still active. That or go insane.