Miniaturised GPS tracker

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
Please i want to build a miniaturised GPS tracker. I wnt it to recieve very low GPS signals and send to as far as 2km. I need help on possible receivers, and transmitter designs.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No i haven't
I'm quite sure that you cannot achieve your objective in any reasonable time frame. If I were you I would start by purchasing a 4 year degree in Electrical Engineering. It is kinda like trying to build a 12-foot telescope mirror without building mirrors 2, 4, 6, and 8 feet in diameter.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That should not be terribly difficult for somebody with a little bit of electronics knowledge and the ability to write or copy a little software. Hobbyists and students are using the Arduino platform to experiment with the main components that you would need.

A GPS "shield" for Arduino systems

A 433 MHz transmitter and receiver for Arduino

Admittedly, the 2 km range might be the difficult part. That probably boils down to selection of the transmitter and receiver involved. The transmitter/receiver pair to which I linked above is just an example of something you can get "on the air" quickly.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That should not be terribly difficult for somebody with a little bit of electronics knowledge and the ability to write or copy a little software. Hobbyists and students are using the Arduino platform to experiment with the main components that you would need.

Admittedly, the 2 km range might be the difficult part. That probably boils down to selection of the transmitter and receiver involved. The transmitter/receiver pair to which I linked above is just an example of something you can get "on the air" quickly.
I agree that the indicated devices are useful for experimentation, but how does he design and build the miniaturized version from scratch? Maybe the TS's concept of miniaturized doesn't correspond to any generally accepted definition.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008

The ability to copy software and hang some modules off an Arduino isn't going to result in something that could be considered "miniaturised" by modern standards and a license-free telemetry link that will cover 2km probably doesn't exist. This is one of those situations where if the TS had the ability to complete this project he would already have done it, or at the very least part of it, but he doesn't even have anything that could be regarded as a loose specification.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Of course you both have valid points. Consider that with the referenced information the TS can at least get a start and begin to deepen his understanding of the issues involved. It may help to read my signature line.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Of course you both have valid points. Consider that with the referenced information the TS can at least get a start and begin to deepen his understanding of the issues involved. It may help to read my signature line.
I never said it could not be done. I said I don't see how the objective could be realized in a reasonable time frame. I can be more precise. I would estimate a minimum of two years of development and experimentation at a minimum based on the information I have so far. I'd be surprised if anyone thinks it can happen quicker.