Might have to make this my primary EE forum

LikeTheSandwich

Joined Feb 22, 2021
I've been a member of another EE forum since high school (although I went about 6-8 year hiatus), but that one has a moderator who is clearly very knowledgeable, but is constantly speaking in a condescending way. I don't think he's trying to be, I don't think he's arrogant, but dang it just frustrates me. But the worst part, is that he makes comments which clearly imply he hasn't even read OP all the way through, nonetheless the rest of the thread. A little condescension honestly doesn't bother me too much, especially when the info is helpful. But condescension with false assumptions that could've been fixed by just reading the OP, that's really, really frustrating.

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
That's just the vast variety of Human-Nature,
Everybody has their own private-universe they live in,
and many times they have no clue of how their actions appear to others.

But of course, YOU don't have to be the adverse effect of an idiot,
just be grateful that you're not him.

Treat others exactly like You would like to be treated by others.
Some people just can't wrap their head around this simple concept.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I've been a member of another EE forum since high school (although I went about 6-8 year hiatus), but that one has a moderator who is clearly very knowledgeable, but is constantly speaking in a condescending way. I don't think he's trying to be, I don't think he's arrogant, but dang it just frustrates me. But the worst part, is that he makes comments which clearly imply he hasn't even read OP all the way through, nonetheless the rest of the thread. A little condescension honestly doesn't bother me too much, especially when the info is helpful. But condescension with false assumptions that could've been fixed by just reading the OP, that's really, really frustrating.
Just in case you ever miss it we have condescension here as well, but we're not moderators - so no worries.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Sometimes it's easier (more fun, better ego boost) to pretend the OP asked a question that the condescending moderator wanted to answer (could answer) rather than addressing the question actually asked. Please share the forum/moderator you are referring to. I saw some weird-a$$ things on a few forums when I was looking around. This one is not perfect but, it is a forum. I'm signed up on a few others - some are more specialized and my specialized questions usually go to those.

LikeTheSandwich

Joined Feb 22, 2021
Just in case you ever miss it we have condescension here as well, but we're not moderators - so no worries.
I'd expect a certain amount of professionalism among moderators normally, which adds another level of frustration to the situation. I haven't been on here long, but I'm sure I'll encounter the condescension, just hopefully not repeatedly perpetrated by authority figures.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'd expect a certain amount of professionalism among moderators normally, which adds another level of frustration to the situation. I haven't been on here long, but I'm sure I'll encounter the condescension, just hopefully not repeatedly perpetrated by authority figures.
It happens here, there is even a thread about him - but he disappeared before I started posting here regularly. He may come back someday.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I believe you will find the moderators here are all trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. :)

On a serious note I suggest you hang out a bit and draw your own conclusions. Personally I like this forum but we all have different likes and dislikes as to any forum. The idea being you need to feel comfortable here.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The moderators are unpaid volunteers. They're human so they have good days and bad days; just like the rest of us.
Yes and absolutely true. However, when I was having a bad day I would avoid anything voluntary rather than share my bad day with others. :) Sort of like staying home from work when not feeling well. Moderation is a voluntary position so when having a bad day just sit things out or stay home in a sense.

Ron

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
I believe you will find the moderators here are all trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.
Hey, I recognize that Scout Law!

Thus far, I've personally not encountered any condescension here worth recalling (at least, not from a mod). This is a pretty good forum, I think.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I know which forum you are taking about, and know exactly which person you are referring to.
My personal advice? Life in the 2020s is already too stressful, to add gratuitous stress by becoming upset at a stranger in the inter webs.
Simply ignore him/her, and other people like him/her. The inter webs are full of obnoxious people.
That forum and many others have an “ignore” function which is very helpful.

LikeTheSandwich

Joined Feb 22, 2021
I know which forum you are taking about, and know exactly which person you are referring to.
My personal advice? Life in the 2020s is already too stressful, to add gratuitous stress by becoming upset at a stranger in the inter webs.
Simply ignore him/her, and other people like him/her. The inter webs are full of obnoxious people.
That forum and many others have an “ignore” function which is very helpful.
Hmm. I wonder if "ignore" works on mods, though.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Because they're mods. Typically you can't block mods on forums, and if you block mods on Facebook most groups ban you immediately.
Ignoring is different than blocking. Ignoring just means the forum software blanks out the content of their posts and leaves you with a message that says you are ignoring the content of their posts. There is no reason on Earth why they should care bout this. They can still initiate other form of messaging and communication if required.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You can't put moderators on your ignore list. Put your mouse on a member's avatar and you'll see an option to ignore. That isn't available for moderators.