Microsoft IntelliMouse hack to Golden Tee Trackball for MAME, 4th button.

Joe LaFever

Joined May 12, 2017
Hello,

I’m trying to hack a Microsoft IntelliMouse (1.3A PS/2 X03-65043 63618-OEM) to a cheap home version of Golden Tee so I can use the trackball as a peripheral with MAME.
golden tee.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

I was wondering if you could offer me some help. I have it pretty much figured out, but I'd like to know if I can use the finger scroll wheel as an input for another switch. That way I would have L, M, R, and 4th button. If I remove the components for the mechanical wheel (D3, Q3 and any other associated components), straight hard wire a switch to the chip for the scroll input would it work? The chip in the Microsoft mouse is a “Z86319”. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Joe :)

Attachments

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
The PS/2 mouse sends repetitive packets of info telling if buttons clicked and if the ball moved which direction and how far. If you put a switch on the scroll wheel circuit, it should send a signal that it moved 1 click, always in the same direction when activated.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
The photo-interrupter for the scroll wheel should have an LED on one side and two photo transistors on the other side. You can wire your switch to work instead of either photo transistor. I think I would remove that photo-interrupter unit.
Mouse wheel sensor.jpg

Joe LaFever

Joined May 12, 2017
The PS/2 mouse sends repetitive packets of info telling if buttons clicked and if the ball moved which direction and how far. If you put a switch on the scroll wheel circuit, it should send a signal that it moved 1 click, always in the same direction when activated.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that in terms of mouse moves. I could try to remove the photo component but I had another thought. The only pin not used on the Z86319 chip is Pin 11 (Port 0, Pin 0). Please see the datasheet attached. Now Pin 13 (Port 0, Pin 2) is attached to the middle mouse button. I'm wondering if I can simply attach a switch to Pin 11 and be done with it. My concern is CMOS programming. Will Pin 11 produce the same response as Pin 13 because of Port 0 programming or is this something that has to be defined for the individual Pin? I do not know if I am capable of programming, this is a weak spot for me. Thoughts?

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
"When Port 0 is configured as an input port, all lines have the capability to either sink or source (ROM mask selectable) current emulating a 100K pulldown or pull-up resistor. Port 00-02 can be accessed through the P0 register.
Pin #11-13 are Port 0, Pins 0,1,2 In/Output"

You might test that pin to see if it is pulled high or low. Then apply the opposite state to trigger it.
It is worth a try. A Windows Mouse Properties utility program might tell you if it sends a usable signal.
Does MAME have an option to configure mouse signals to perform different functions? If not, you will have to do some tricky programming to intercept the mouse data and translate it to something your game can use.

Joe LaFever

Joined May 12, 2017
"When Port 0 is configured as an input port, all lines have the capability to either sink or source (ROM mask selectable) current emulating a 100K pulldown or pull-up resistor. Port 00-02 can be accessed through the P0 register.
Pin #11-13 are Port 0, Pins 0,1,2 In/Output"

You might test that pin to see if it is pulled high or low. Then apply the opposite state to trigger it.
It is worth a try. A Windows Mouse Properties utility program might tell you if it sends a usable signal.
Does MAME have an option to configure mouse signals to perform different functions? If not, you will have to do some tricky programming to intercept the mouse data and translate it to something your game can use.

DNA, I'm going to hook a switch up to that pin and see what happens. I suspect that it should work. I am uncertain if MAME is configurable to the point where you can change a mouse move to an input. I think probably not. I'm going to avoid the programming as much as possible. I think if it doesn't work I can flip the signal or equate the mouse move to on/off state through physical components. I'm probably going to give the switch a try next week. I know I can easily get a encoder with trackball functionality with as many inputs as I'd like but it's 40 bucks. My mouse = zero cost. If for some reason all else fails I will go that route. Thank you for your help. I'll send an update next week sometime.

Joe