Microsoft Edition: Samsung Galaxy S8

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No joke, it looks like Microsft is abandoning the operating system strategy, abandoning the mobile hardware strategy. They are preloading a Samsung phone that is running Android with Microsoft Apps to encourage users to use Microsoft cloud tools and servers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewansp...mpaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix#31b9553b7f26

Now, is this a refreshing new business model for Microsoft or a sign that MS is circling the drain?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
MS has always seemed to have difficulties getting any dominance in hardware products. Xbox may be the one exception.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think the mere fact they can run an experiment in the market is a very good sign for them. Ballmer's "our way or the highway" was incredibly damaging. They've been increasingly innovative since he left.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ballmer's "our way or the highway" was incredibly damaging. They've been increasingly innovative since he left.
Yeah... his approach reminded me of the failed IBM strategy of introducing their infamous micro-channel architecture, with the sole intent of forcing the market to follow their lead... and they failed miserably

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yeah... his approach reminded me of the failed IBM strategy of introducing their infamous micro-channel architecture, with the sole intent of forcing the market to follow their lead... and they failed miserably
And what about IBMs attempt at an operating system... And then another operating system... (IBM PC DOS and OS/2).

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And what about IBMs attempt at an operating system... And then another operating system... (IBM PC DOS and OS/2).
Yeah... I had forgotten about that! ... It's funny how being the leader at something can sometimes backfire on you and make you do incredibly stupid things out of a misplaced sense of confidence...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
This is a major capitulation by Microsoft.

Apple may be next...though it will take some time to ride their cash down.

It's been a long time coming, but Linux has won.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Next for what exactly? I don't see what you're predicting.
I'm referring to the ongoing -- and evolving -- OS wars. From the PC (Windows won) to mobile devices (iOS took an early lead, Linux has top spot now) to IOT (are there any contenders besides Linux?), Microsoft, Apple, and [various -- mostly Google] have been battling for market share.

My prediction: via IOT, all heavy lifting will be cloud-centric on embedded Linux devices and Linux servers. There will be no place for MS or Apple save to provide a pretty window through which to view your data. Even those won't be necessary as Android (Linux) is a Master of All Things.

Here's a 2010 article to refresh your memories a bit as to how things were and how things were supposed to be.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There will be no place for MS or Apple save to provide a pretty window through which to view your data. Even those won't be necessary as Android (Linux) is a Master of All Things.
Good luck with that.

"81% of the teens said their next phone will be an iPhone. This reflects the popular worldwide adoption of iPhones, with Loup Ventures estimating that a total of 680 million people worldwide own iPhones, according to a recent note."

https://www.thestreet.com/story/140...etflix.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Good luck with that.

"81% of the teens said their next phone will be an iPhone. This reflects the popular worldwide adoption of iPhones, with Loup Ventures estimating that a total of 680 million people worldwide own iPhones, according to a recent note."

https://www.thestreet.com/story/140...etflix.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo
For clarity, I did not mean to imply the demise of Apple in the immediate future. This game has been playing out for a very long time, and will continue to do so for quite a while.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
For clarity, I did not mean to imply the demise of Apple in the immediate future. This game has been playing out for a very long time, and will continue to do so for quite a while.
You are absolutely right, Apple will fail... eventually. You are a sage.