micro reversing 7.2 Volt Circuit Needed

torpedochief

Joined Mar 30, 2008
Sure thing Sarge,

A new board sounds like the way to go. I enjoy making them. I have been using the glossy magazine method. Works as well as the Press and Peel. Okay letme get the other relay and the camera.

Best

Don

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Don,
It looks like the layout they published in the datasheet is a BOTTOM view, not a TOP view.

Can you verify that?

It's hard to make out the pins in the photo you took - but if you look on page 2 of the datasheet, I think you'll find that the drawing looks just like the bottom view.

This means the layout I made is bass-ackwards.

Also, are any of the pins welded to the case? It looks like pin 3 might be, but I can't see enough detail.

For example, do you get continuity between pin 3 and any other pin except pin 2? If pins are welded to the case, I need to know.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Wow.

No wonder we're having problems!

Not only is the datasheet board layout a bottom view (should've been top view), but the NC positions are the NO positions, and vice versa. No wonder they were surplused; there is no way to make a library model for that relay from the datasheet.

Tell me, when you were mounting the relay in the board, did you have to drill the holes larger and off-center from what the pads indicated to make it fit?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
No, now that I know what's up, I can adjust the library model to suit.

It's just that the datasheet is upside down and backwards. That made for problems, obviously.

Did you check to see if pins 2/3 and 6/7 had continuity to any other pins besides those pairs, or the case of the relay?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Dang, I've been "Sir"ed. :(

Six months in the scullery on a tin can for you, Chief! ;)

[eta]
OK, let me re-do the model. Then I'll do a printout, and have you do some testing on the relay to make sure that I have it right this time.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hi Don,

Had to take some time to try a few things; think I have it straight now.

Two files attached;
Tank Commander Motor Controller Rev4 top.pdf
Tank Commander Motor Controller Rev4 brd.pdf

...top.pdf is the layout from the top of the board. Print it out, and as closely as you can, punch out the holes that the relay's terminals fit through. The actual relay should plug right into those holes from the top.

If it does not, I need to know.

If it's good, then make sure that the connections inside the relay agree with the schematic that is in top.brd

If that all agrees with the actual part, then make the board using:
Tank Commander Motor Controller Rev4 brd.pdf

[eta] Forgot the attachments!

Also, R2 is a 220 Ohm current limiting resistor for the motor. It's vertical; for one reason the board was a bit cramped there, for another it should give better cooling like that. 220 Ohms is just a starting place; you will need to experiment. If the motor is still too fast, you will need to increase R2.

Attachments

Last edited:

torpedochief

Joined Mar 30, 2008
Okay Sarge I punched out the holes in the paper dead center. From the top it does not go in. From the bottom of the papaer it fits like a glove.

Don

torpedochief

Joined Mar 30, 2008
Thanks Sarge!

This is going to really set the model tank world on its head!!

This circuit can also be used for a cannon recoil.

Don

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, the relay will have to be changed, which will change the whole board layout.

I think a spring-return solenoid would be much easier, along with more realistic for the cannon.

torpedochief

Joined Mar 30, 2008
The Relay fits great! Okay now I'll etch a new board. See if by this time Monday we'll have a tanker!

Thanks Sarge!

Oh and it looks like the BBC will pick up my new novel TIGER! for a movie!

Don

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you make sure that the connections inside the relay agree with the schematic that is in top.brd, using your multimeter set to measure Ohms?

I don't want you to waste time and materials making a board unless we're sure everything's right.

Congrats on the novel being picked up!