Memory initialization file

colourblind82

Joined Dec 7, 2006
Hi all,
I'm using the Xilinx virtex II Pro to develop some projects... I would like to ask if anyone knows how i can store external files so that my VHDL program can access the content of the file during run time. I read through some Atera's material, and it seems that Altera offers something called altsyncram function and has memory initialization file (.mif file). Anyone knows how I can do it using Xilinx virtex II pro? Is there an equivalent system like the altsyncram of Altera in Xilinx?

Thanks!

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
The altsyncram is just a mega function to access synchronous RAM. There are examples and application notes available at Xilinx on how to do the same thing. Are you using QDR?

colourblind82

Joined Dec 7, 2006
Any idea what kind of functions is it used for Xilinx? What are the 'keywords' that i can look into it? I'm new with this Xilinx board and not familiar with altera either. Thanks!

I saw something known as content addressable memory (CAM). Do you know what is this? Because i need to access the content of the memory one by one, such as reading data line by line from the memory.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Search the Xilinx application notes, there is one that deal with accessing Cypress synchronous RAM.

I have never came across a similar function to altsyncram in Xilinx, but then I have never looked for them either because I usually do the interfacing code myself or use IP cores from other vendors.