Measuring Vehicle Sensor Resistance

Tdm

Joined Jul 26, 2019
I’m trying to measure the resistance of a vehicle abs sensor and a bit confused with the readings I’m getting on different digital meter settings?

I detail below the various multi meter settings and readings for the same sensor;

2M .530

200k 72.7

20k 15.21

2k .708

200 no reading

To me these readings don’t make sense?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The sensor and only the sensor out of circuit is only a passive coil and they range anywhere between 800 ohms and 2,000 ohms. Assuming a known good meter it should not matter what range as long as the range encompasses 800 ohms to about 2 K ohm. When a wheel is spinning the sensor should output an AC voltage, I forget what raw sensor voltage is but setting a good DMM to AC and spinning the hub should produce an AC voltage. Nothing is a bad sensor.

When connecting a meter to the sensor make sure there is no dirt or debris on the connection. A dirty or poor connection can cause the symptoms you are seeing. If the ECM throws a ABS Error it can be anything between the sensor and ECM including wires exposed to the elements, dirt and other things. Your description assuming good solid connections points to a faulty sensor.

Ron