MCU connecting to smart lock

sairfan1

Joined May 24, 2012
Now a days there are many smart locks available like kwikset, these locks have ability to connect through zigbee to offer more functionalities.

I want to develop a project on this, I visited manufacturer's web site but did not find any helpful information, like connecting smart lock through MCU over zigbee, sending commands and receiving response from lock etc. need help where should I start from, is it possible that without manufacturer's documentation I can connect to a smart lock and set code on it, perform lock and un-lock actions.

Thanks.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So you do want to hack into kwiksets current system or develop your own?

There is NO benefit in Kwikset sharing any of their control information to you or anyone else as that would open up the possibility of someone hacking it to gain illegal access/defeating the lock,etc...

Why don't you simply learn how to use the MCU/Zigbee to trigger a solenoid as thats basically all they are doing..?

sairfan1

Joined May 24, 2012
I want to develop my own system, I bought a house where these locks are already installed and few time it happened that i forgot to lock, I want to develop iot so that i can see lock status while I'm at office and in case i forgot to lock i can lock it from remote location.

Definitely my first step would be to learn zigbee and prepare development environment but i also have figure out what comes next so my all efforts not go in vain. Kwikset lock also connects with number of home automation control panels I believe they have something like api that securely allows outer devices to connect and perform functions.

If my intentions were to hack i would never go to manufacturer's web site for information on how hack :)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I believe you have zero chance of interoperating with an existing product. You can remove the electronics from the lock and replace it with your own. Are you up to that challenge?

sairfan1

Joined May 24, 2012
I believe you have zero chance of interoperating with an existing product. You can remove the electronics from the lock and replace it with your own. Are you up to that challenge?
Yes that can be done if found nothing, but as most of automation hardware available in market can connect with these locks I believe there must be some public api to operate these locks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
... as most of [the] automation hardware available in [the] market can connect with these locks...

You mean like Allen-Bradley PLC's or Phoenix Contact Industrial Computers? I'm not sure about that -- are you?

sairfan1

Joined May 24, 2012
I'm in Canada here some home security/automation companies like Vivint, SaskTel provide control box, these locks can be connected with control box to check the status of lock and lock/un-lock from remote locations.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'm in Canada here some home security/automation companies like Vivint, SaskTel provide control box, these locks can be connected with control box to check the status of lock and lock/un-lock from remote locations.
And those companies likely pay a licensing fee as well as having signed agreements including non-disclosure agreements. Which you are not going to be able to execute. Sorry.