McGrath medical battery replacement?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Greetings,
I have urgent need to solve this same problem with this product!!
do you have any further information on the exact devices/tools/applications required to make this happen??
I have a pro Li-Ion cell charger, so I can recharge the cell within, the RF aspects are the final roadblock to us getting these units active again.

Any help would be appreciated!!

-Kevin D.
Did you read the post just above yours? A smartphone with NFC plus the app might be all you need. That and the patience to work the steps.

Paulius

Joined Apr 1, 2020
Hi,
I know this post is a bit old but during that COVID-19 pandemia and global sold out of captive market "for safety reason" MCGrath MAC batteries, I tried to replace the battery with a standard 3.6V AA lithium one.
The video laryngoscope stores to the RFID tag the amount of time the battery was used. A new one is given for 250 minutes. So if 50 is displayed on the screen the value of 200 is stored.
I was able to read and write the tag from a smartphone (Xiaomi M9T Pro) and the free app "RFID NFC Tool".
The tag is compliant with the ISO 15693 and seems to be based on the NXP SLIX chip.

The procedure below will reset the battery to 128 minutes, I was not able "refilling" it up completely for the moment.

OF COURSE, DON'T USE IT ! IF YOU DO, IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK ;)

In the app "RFID NFC Tool" :
- Choose "ISO 15693 Vicinity"
- Put your phone on the battery. You should see the content of the chip. If nothing happened your smartphone may not be compatible.
- Select the "Write Single Block" command from the menu on top
- Enter the hex values :
Block : 0 Data : BC010003
- Then "Run Command" :
- Enter the hex values :
Block : 1 Data : 79003200
- "Run Command" again.
- Select the "Inventory" command and "Run command" to be sure datas have been written.

The video laryngoscope should now show a lifetime of 129 minutes. Be aware the lifetime on the screen is now totally wrong and depends on the capacity and quality of the new battery.

If someone want to go further :
BLOCK 0 :
- the hex value "BC01" seems to be checksum, I can't figure out how it is calculated.
- the hex value "0003" don't seem to change whatever the condition of the battery is.
BLOCK 1 :
- the hex value "79" is the "ON" time in minutes (0x79 = 121 => (250-121) = 129 minutes on the screen)
- the hex value "32" seems to be the seconds (it changes each time you power it on and off but is always between 0 and 60).

Hope it helps !

HateCaptiveMarket
Hello,

I have same problem with MCGrath batteries. Maybe you already find out how to reset battery to 250 minutes?

Paulius.

Last edited by a moderator:

tudy

Joined Apr 7, 2020
Hi,
I know this post is a bit old but during that COVID-19 pandemia and global sold out of captive market "for safety reason" MCGrath MAC batteries, I tried to replace the battery with a standard 3.6V AA lithium one.
The video laryngoscope stores to the RFID tag the amount of time the battery was used. A new one is given for 250 minutes. So if 50 is displayed on the screen the value of 200 is stored.
I was able to read and write the tag from a smartphone (Xiaomi M9T Pro) and the free app "RFID NFC Tool".
The tag is compliant with the ISO 15693 and seems to be based on the NXP SLIX chip.

The procedure below will reset the battery to 128 minutes, I was not able "refilling" it up completely for the moment.

- Put your phone on the battery. You should see the content of the chip. If nothing happened your smartphone may not be compatible.
- Enter the hex values :
- Then "Run Command" :
- Enter the hex values :
- "Run Command" again.
- Select the "Inventory" command and "Run command" to be sure datas have been written.

The video laryngoscope should now show a lifetime of 129 minutes. Be aware the lifetime on the screen is now totally wrong and depends on the capacity and quality of the new battery.

BLOCK 0 :
- the hex value "BC01" seems to be checksum, I can't figure out how it is calculated.
- the hex value "0003" don't seem to change whatever the condition of the battery is.
BLOCK 1 :
- the hex value "79" is the "ON" time in minutes (0x79 = 121 => (250-121) = 129 minutes on the screen)
- the hex value "32" seems to be the seconds (it changes each time you power it on and off but is always between 0 and 60).

Hope it helps !

HateCaptiveMarket
thank to you.
I'm biomedical technician from France and have the same problem ... but I did the 250 !
just read a 100% good battery, that's give me the value bloc 0: 2A030003 and the other block value 0
copied it to a 0% RFID and it give me 250

thank you HateCaptiveMarket for your "procédure"
tudy

I'm trying to find an iOS equivalent NFC tool. With Covid ramping up, we are running low on these batteries and can't get replacements fast enough. Any app recommendations?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm trying to find an iOS equivalent NFC tool. With Covid ramping up, we are running low on these batteries and can't get replacements fast enough. Any app recommendations?
If you can find the source code, I might be able to adapt it to iOS. No guarantees.

fatrix1

Joined Apr 9, 2020
chnician from France and have the same problem ... but I did th
thank to you.
I'm biomedical technician from France and have the same problem ... but I did the 250 !
just read a 100% good battery, that's give me the value bloc 0: 2A030003 and the other block value 0
copied it to a 0% RFID and it give me 250

thank you HateCaptiveMarket for your "procédure"
tudy
Bonjour Tudy,
pourrais-tu nous donner exactement la procédure à suivre?

Lecteur RFID utilisé (je n'ai pas de smartphone compatible)
Logiciel de lecture/écriture

Merci pour ton aide

En temps de guerre, nous devons nous surpasser pour stopper l'obsolescence programmé.

Hello Tudy,
could you please give us your solution step-by-step?

What RFID reader needed (I don't have a suitable smartphone)
Software to use for reading/writing

Thanks for your help.

In time of war, we must surpass ourselves to stop the planned obsolescence.

tudy

Joined Apr 7, 2020
Bonjour Tudy,
pourrais-tu nous donner exactement la procédure à suivre?

Lecteur RFID utilisé (je n'ai pas de smartphone compatible)
Logiciel de lecture/écriture

Merci pour ton aide

En temps de guerre, nous devons nous surpasser pour stopper l'obsolescence programmé.

Hello Tudy,
could you please give us your solution step-by-step?

What RFID reader needed (I don't have a suitable smartphone)
Software to use for reading/writing

Thanks for your help.

In time of war, we must surpass ourselves to stop the planned obsolescence.
Bonjour Fatrix1,

j'ai suivi la procédure de "hatecaptivemarket" :
_j'ai un samsung Galaxy S9 (perso) et je n'ai pas fait de test avec d'autre lecteur, le Xioami Redmi note 8 de mon collègue n'a pas fait l'affaire...
_j'ai installer l'application "RFID NFC Tool" via le playstore (icone bleu avec marteau blanc et symbole wifi)
_lancer l'application, choisir "ISO 15693 Vicinity", ensuite lire la puce (et faire en sorte de pas trop bouger sinon on perd le contact)
_dans command list choisir "Write single Block"
_dans block(hex) mettre 0 (on sélectionne le block à écrire)
_dans data(hex) mettre 2A030003 (on réinitialise le compteur à 250min) puis "RUN COMMAND"
_mettre les autres block à 0, exemple "block 0x04: 2B 00 00 3C" il faut faire block(hex):4 et data(hex): 00000000 et "RUN COMMAND" avec la batterie/puce derrière le téléphone bien sur

cela a fonctionné pour moi, j'ai pu testé les 3 batteries que j'ai faite avec succès, bien entendu j'ai remplacé la pile 3,6V.

Tudy

This is an ENGLISH ONLY site. Please use ENGLISH over here.

Google Translation:
Hello Fatrix1,

I followed the "hatecaptivemarket" procedure:
_I have a samsung Galaxy S9 (personal) and I did not test with another reader, the Xioami Redmi note 8 from my colleague did not do the trick ...
_I installed the "RFID NFC Tool" application via the playstore (blue icon with white hammer and wifi symbol)
_ launch the application, choose "ISO 15693 Vicinity", then read the chip (and make sure not to move too much otherwise you lose contact)
_in command list choose "Write single Block"
_in block (hex) put 0 (we select the block to write)
_in data (hex) put 2A030003 (we reset the counter at 250min) then "RUN COMMAND"
_ set the other blocks to 0, example "block 0x04: 2B 00 00 3C" you must do block (hex): 4 and data (hex): 00000000 and "RUN COMMAND" with the battery / chip behind the phone of course

it worked for me, I was able to test the 3 batteries that I made successfully, of course I replaced the 3,6V battery.

Tudy

fatrix1

Joined Apr 9, 2020
Bonjour Fatrix1,

_j'ai un samsung Galaxy S9 (perso) et je n'ai pas fait de test avec d'autre lecteur, le Xioami Redmi note 8 de mon collègue n'a pas fait l'affaire...
_j'ai installer l'application "RFID NFC Tool" via le playstore (icone bleu avec marteau blanc et symbole wifi)
_lancer l'application, choisir "ISO 15693 Vicinity", ensuite lire la puce (et faire en sorte de pas trop bouger sinon on perd le contact)
_dans data(hex) mettre 2A030003 (on réinitialise le compteur à 250min) puis "RUN COMMAND"
_mettre les autres block à 0, exemple "block 0x04: 2B 00 00 3C" il faut faire block(hex):4 et data(hex): 00000000 et "RUN COMMAND" avec la batterie/puce derrière le téléphone bien sur

cela a fonctionné pour moi, j'ai pu testé les 3 batteries que j'ai faite avec succès, bien entendu j'ai remplacé la pile 3,6V.
mon commercial Medtronic ne m'a pas donné de délai encore pour les batteries :/

Pour ma part, je suis Technicien Bio au CH Dreux(28)

Tudy
Merci pour ton retour.

Désolé, je ne veux pas dévoiler mon identité.
Et je te recommande de modifier ton post.
Les commerciaux ne vont pas apprécier nos discussions tu pourrais avoir des problèmes.
Tu peux me contacter sur mon email factice : <SNIP>

Thanks for your return.

Sorry, I don't want to reveal my identity.
And I recommend that you modify your post.
The sales people will not appreciate our discussions you could have problems.
You can contact me on my dummy email: <SNIP>

Moderators note : removed email to avoid spam.

Bonjour Fatrix1,

Tudy

Google Translation:
Hello Fatrix1,

I followed the "hatecaptivemarket" procedure:
_I have a samsung Galaxy S9 (personal) and I did not test with another reader, the Xioami Redmi note 8 from my colleague did not do the trick ...
_I installed the "RFID NFC Tool" application via the playstore (blue icon with white hammer and wifi symbol)
_ launch the application, choose "ISO 15693 Vicinity", then read the chip (and make sure not to move too much otherwise you lose contact)
_in command list choose "Write single Block"
_in block (hex) put 0 (we select the block to write)
_in data (hex) put 2A030003 (we reset the counter at 250min) then "RUN COMMAND"
_ set the other blocks to 0, example "block 0x04: 2B 00 00 3C" you must do block (hex): 4 and data (hex): 00000000 and "RUN COMMAND" with the battery / chip behind the phone of course

it worked for me, I was able to test the 3 batteries that I made successfully, of course I replaced the 3,6V battery.

Tudy
im looking for command list choose where is im using nfc tool

D McG

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Thank you to everyone who has worked on this so far.

It seems like there is a strong impression be given that the internal battery must be replaced or recharged to extend life. This might be perceived as a barrier to those who would otherwise attempt this technique. So far, all 6 'depleted' batteries I have assessed have registered 3.63 - 3.65 V remaining (above nominal).

With a Samsung S8 Active, I have reprogrammed 3 following the previously described technique and am in the process of analyzing the expected remaining lifespan of the original battery. So far, the first battery has performed very well for approximately 140 minutes of use and shows no signs of nearing end of service.

That said, does anyone have recommendations for charging parameters (voltage, current, continuous vs intermittent current application, etc.) for those of us who may wish to attempt recharging the internal battery?

The very best to you all and many thanks from an anesthesiologist greatly benefitting from your efforts in this bizarre time.

SSP

Joined May 5, 2020
Hello,
I have SONY X Performance, but not able to read the tag even using RFID NFC tool, any quick help?

SSP

Joined May 5, 2020
Hi,

- Enter the hex values :
- Then "Run Command" :
- Enter the hex values :
- "Run Command" again.

BLOCK 0 :
BLOCK 1 :

Hope it helps !

HateCaptiveMarket
I have Sony Xperfromance and using RFID NFC Tool, however, phone is not able to read the codes. Any quick fix?

D McG

Joined Apr 12, 2020
I have Sony Xperfromance and using RFID NFC Tool, however, phone is not able to read the codes. Any quick fix?
I would suggest verifying that you have NFC turned on in your phone's settings. Beyond that, verify the location of your phone's NFC antenna. A quick internet search makes it look like it is in the upper left corner of the phone, possibly better in the front (screen side) than the back. Phone repair manuals can be helpful for the antenna location diagrams. You may have to experiment a little. The RFID chip in the McGrath battery seems to have a very short range for communicating. Millimeters of movement can be problematic. Make sure that you are getting the actual McGrath RFID chip (on the opposite end from the power button) as close as possible to your phone's NFC antenna (may require tilting the battery and slowly sliding it along the surface of the phone to find the best proximity) . It can be very challenging sometimes, but it gets much easier once you get past that step. Hope this helps.

JohnyD

Joined Dec 18, 2018
That said, does anyone have recommendations for charging parameters (voltage, current, continuous vs intermittent current application, etc.) for those of us who may wish to attempt recharging the internal battery?
Battery inside is ER14505M - cylindrical, non-rechargeable 2 Ah LiSOCI2 cell. Fortunately it's relatively cheap (6-8 USD). Type size and something like LOT number is imprinted on the plastic battery case.

May be block 0x00 is just a LOT number (doesn't changes over time) and it's enough to overwrite 0x01 block with 0x00000000 to reset timer? May be there some magic combination which disables timer for a given battery at all?

Bricolo

Joined May 27, 2020
Hello,
I am also a biomedical technician. I followed the procedure without problem. The lighting works well, but the Mc Grath screen does not turn on.
Does anyone have the same problem ?
I'm using a 3.6V rechargeable lithium battery.
Thank you

Attachments

JohnyD

Joined Dec 18, 2018
Hello,
I am also a biomedical technician. I followed the procedure without problem. The lighting works well, but the Mc Grath screen does not turn on.
Does anyone have the same problem ?
I'm using a 3.6V rechargeable lithium battery.
Thank you
What do you mean under "does not turn on"? What happens after pressing "On" button? Black screen with flashing empty battery indicator (no RFID tag in reader range or wrong data on tag)? Or screen is totally blank (may be low power source)?