MC34063 Boost Voltage Dropping

sonar_abhi

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Hello All,

I have built a voltage boost circuit using MC34063 to boost from 3.2V to 5V with 350mA output current.

The problem is I am getting 5V output when measured witha DMM but when I connect even a small load like a microcontroller, the output voltage drops to around 1.5 or 2 V.

I have used the standard schematic of voltage boost mentioned in the datasheet. The values are as follows:

R:180 ohms
Rsc: 0.2 ohms
Ct: 22pF
L: 22uH
Cin: 10uF
Cout: 10uF
R3/R4 for boosting: 3.3K and 10Kohms

The inductor is a small one which resembles a 1/2 watt resistor.

Please help1458392105186-124527122.jpg

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello All,

I have built a voltage boost circuit using MC34063 to boost from 3.2V to 5V with 350mA output current.

The problem is I am getting 5V output when measured witha DMM but when I connect even a small load like a microcontroller, the output voltage drops to around 1.5 or 2 V.

I have used the standard schematic of voltage boost mentioned in the datasheet. The values are as follows:

Please helpView attachment 102693

Not all 22uH inductors are the same. Another important specification on an inductor is saturation current. You will not get 350mA of saturation current out of that little inductor. You need something with a core that won't saturate.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I agree with Gopher that the problem is the inductor. Also, since your peak collector current is less tha 1.5 A (and actually less than 1 A), you do not need the external transistor. The circuit for this is on the datadheet.

ak

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hello All,

Please helpView attachment 102693
Hi, your schematic is hard to read but If D1 = 1n5913(zener) you should use a schottky diode.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi, your schematic is hard to read but If D1 = 1n5913(zener) you should use a schottky diode.
The datasheet calls for the Zener. The chip can also handle 1.5 A so there is no reason for the more complicated circuit the OP is using with the TIP41 - his 350 mA could be supplied directly by the chip.

Also, the datasheet clearly has 2 bars on each inductor showing a core (of some ferromagnetic material) is needed for higher saturation current.

Look at the circuit photographs on page 9 and 10 of this document for the type/size of the inductors used.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC34063A-D.PDF

The one labelled Coilcraft on page 10 and those with "221" on page 9.

If you don't have one handy, you could try about 5 close wraps of insulated wire (~22 to 26 gauge) around a good sized nail (standard 3" nail, aka 10 penny).

Last edited:

sonar_abhi

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Ok grt. Thanks for the response guys.
So inductor seems to be the problem. Unfortunately I dont have access to a better inductor right now.
Can I parallel two or three inductors to improve the current handling capacity? Will that work?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So inductor seems to be the problem. Unfortunately I dont have access to a better inductor right now.
Can I parallel two or three inductors to improve the current handling capacity? Will that work?
Only if the result gives you the right inductance and you can eliminate coupling effects of closely space inductors. It is best not to take shortcuts with SMPS circuits.

Since this is a boost converter it is worth mentioning that the inductor current may be twice the output current.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What us the saturation current of those inductors you want to parallel?

sonar_abhi

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Hi. Unfortunately the current rating is not mentioned on the inductor. But the package resembles a 1/2 W resistor (snap was included in the forst post). If anybody can point out the saturation current of that device it would be helpful.

Thanks

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi. Unfortunately the current rating is not mentioned on the inductor. But the package resembles a 1/2 W resistor (snap was included in the forst post). If anybody can point out the saturation current of that device it would be helpful.

Thanks
I don't think it will work - even if you had a few dozen.

Try the nail trick i mentioned in bottom of post 5. You may notice some heating of the nail because of Eddie currents but it is only an experiment. It may need more than 5 turns. Maybe 10 or so - lots of variables in inductors and the circuit can withstand lots of variables too. Finally, try the more simple circuit (first one in the datasheet because no transistor should be needed at the low currents you are using).

sonar_abhi

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Ok. I will try that but I need a proper solution for production also so will try to get a proper inductor also. What should be the current rating that I should go for? 22uF/1A or 22uF/2A? Also what is the difference between an axial inductor and an inductor choke?

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
The datasheet calls for the Zener. The chip can also handle 1.5 A so there is no reason for the more complicated circuit the OP is using with the TIP41 - his 350 mA could be supplied directly by the chip.

Also, the datasheet clearly has 2 bars on each inductor showing a core (of some ferromagnetic material) is needed for higher saturation current.

Look at the circuit photographs on page 9 and 10 of this document for the type/size of the inductors used.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC34063A-D.PDF

The one labelled Coilcraft on page 10 and those with "221" on page 9.

If you don't have one handy, you could try about 5 close wraps of insulated wire (~22 to 26 gauge) around a good sized nail (standard 3" nail, aka 10 penny).
Hum they use a 1n5219 correct? www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/1N5817-D.PDF this sheet is for 17/18/19 and is a schottkey
However correct me when wrong.
picbuster

sonar_abhi

Joined Mar 19, 2016
@sonar_abhi

See post above. You need a different diode than what you have listed in your schematic. A Zener diode that you used is not correct. And Thank @Picbuster for a very good detailed look at your schematic.
Yes...my bad. Actually I didnt get 1N5817 model in Proteus for simulation hence used what was available in Proteus.
In the actual circuit, I have used a 1N5817. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the post.

@GopherT, what inductor should I use? 22uH/1A or more? 1A signifies the saturation current or the peak current?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes...my bad. Actually I didnt get 1N5817 model in Proteus for simulation hence used what was available in Proteus.
In the actual circuit, I have used a 1N5817. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the post.

@GopherT, what inductor should I use? 22uH/1A or more? 1A signifies the saturation current or the peak current?
1 A should work for your 350mA peak demand.

sonar_abhi

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Thanks man...you've been very kind to help. Actually everybody on this forum, I thank you all. I will get the inductor tomorrow and post the results

Regards

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Break any damaged CFL fluorescent light or something which has an big inductor in ferrite. Or wind 20 turns of 24SWG enamel coated copper wire on any ferrite core.

sonar_abhi

Joined Mar 19, 2016
Hello Guys,

I made several changes in the circuit and tested in for the following changes:
1] Inductor: 22uH/2A
Shorted the pins 1 and 8 (to use it in a darlington configuration)
Timing capacitor: 390pF
Output capacitor: 100uF/16V
Removed the external transistor and checked it with transistor also

2] Inductor: 42uF/2A
Shorted the pins 1 and 8 (to use it in a darlington configuration)
Timing capacitor: 470pF
Output capacitor: 1uF/16V
Removed the external transistor and checked it with transistor also

Still the same problem persists. The output voltage at no load is 5V proper but under load, it drops to 3.2V.

The reason I persisted with MC34063 was its low cost (it costs Rs. 10/piece in India compared to Rs. 60/ piece for Micrel MIC2288) and that there are people who have posted that they have used the MC34063 chip with the same Vin and Vout at 300/350mA. But I guess for me, there is no other option than to use the Micrel chip.

Thank you all for your help.