MC2100 treadmill motor control circuit

IamJatinah

Joined Oct 22, 2014
Hi All,
MIC4427BN are available, see links below for datasheet and digikey link.....

The FET is usually an IRFP250 for US Domestic units running 120vAC input, or IRFP450 for Euro and 220vAC environments. The kickback diode is a 30A 600PRV next to it for 120vAC units.

If the MIC4427 is shorted or bad, I have seen the programmed part, the ASIC PWM generator, fail and/or short. This leaves a boat anchor resultant as there is no source code available for a replacement. The ASIC also provides a feedback signal to the console.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/MIC4427BN/MIC4427BN-ND/771200
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/mic4426.pdf

Good Luck...

quenzerj

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Thanks to whoever posted the schematic. I had an issue with a similar board MC5100DTS-50W (Nordic Track X9i) and it was helpful to diagnose a problem. Everything on the treadmill worked except the motor wouldn't run. It turned out that L1 was damaged (open circuit). On the MC5100DTS it doesn't use the 10V zener (D8) to generate the lower voltage DC signal. It uses a switching circuit that L1 is a part of.

Also one of the 1000uF 200V capacitors was swollen so I'm replacing that as well.

Attachments

MikeHcny

Joined Dec 26, 2018
Does anyone know if there are suitable replacements for Smooth Fitness 9.65LC treadmill control board??
I have had mine rebuilt once and it worked fine until I plugged the treadmill into an outlet with reverse polarity. I would rather replace than have the old one rebuilt again. Smooth has joined a long line up of treadmill makers now counting clouds. ICON, the last owner of the brand refuses to honor the Lifetime warranty. Claims the control board is no longer available. There must be one out there of another brand that will get my belt running. Please help me keep my otherwise good treadmill from becoming scrap.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
it worked fine until I plugged the treadmill into an outlet with reverse polarity.
??? How would that make a difference?
The only difference in the polarity is one side is referenced to earth ground.

Very difficult to sub a different controller due to custom methods of consol communication with the board.
What is your location, Country?
Max.

MikeHcny

Joined Dec 26, 2018
??? How would that make a difference?
The only difference in the polarity is one side is referenced to earth ground.

Very difficult to sub a different controller due to custom methods of consol communication with the board.
What is your location, Country?
Max.
Hi Thanks for the reply

I am in western ny, usa Re the polarity issue, I understand the basics. While the control board was in the shop, I set up a dedicated 15amp service for the treadmill and located it so that I did not need an extension cord. After the repaired control board was returned. I reinstalled and the machine ran great for several days then the breaker started tripping. That is when I noticed that I had reversed polarity. I corrected the polarity and ran several more days and the breaker did not trip. Then nothing. After about 10 days I had read in the owners manual that holding down the Stop button for 3 seconds resets the computer. So I tried that and got one more workout. That was about a week ago.
For other causes, I am sure there is no excess resistance from the belt or rollers. They have be carefully maintained and lubed. I can move the belt with light hand pressure. Trying to save this machine from the scrap yard but ready to give up.

What are the pros/cons of overriding the entire system with a AC/DC conversion and speed control (potentiometer). Would live with just turning the belt. I see lots of videos of people re-purpose treadmill motors for power tool applications. I just want a belt to run on.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Even for power tools, the TM type board or similar controller such as KB drives is advised, they do not run that well using the simple Triac controllers.
If it is blowing the fuse etc then some appears to be loading the motor and may have damaged the existing board.
You could try resetting it and try and get the motor to run with the belt off and see if that eliminates the breaker trip.
What is the motor board model /part No?
Max.

MikeHcny

Joined Dec 26, 2018
QLUOTE="MaxHeadRoom, post: 1338482, member: 212212"]Even for power tools, the TM type board or similar controller such as KB drives is advised, they do not run that well using the simple Triac controllers.
If it is blowing the fuse etc then some appears to be loading the motor and may have damaged the existing board.
You could try resetting it and try and get the motor to run with the belt off and see if that eliminates the breaker trip.
Max.[/QUOTE]
Number from the Smooth owners manual is 9.65LC-04 There on no printing on the heat sink or green board that resembles any sort of part No.
Thanks again for your time
MH

IamJatinah

Joined Oct 22, 2014
QLUOTE="MaxHeadRoom, post: 1338482, member: 212212"]Even for power tools, the TM type board or similar controller such as KB drives is advised, they do not run that well using the simple Triac controllers.
Max.
Number from the Smooth owners manual is 9.65LC-04 There on no printing on the heat sink or green board that resembles any sort of part No.
Thanks again for your time
MH[/QUOTE]
Can you post a pic of the board? Blowing breakers is a sign of shorted Fets or bridges. Never bypass the main relays on control boards unless you are aware of the circuits, although smooth didn't adhere to safety relay requirements on many controllers. Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a MC2100 but a different rev and it does not show a R46 unfortunately.
The one in the pic appears to be 21Ω.
A little reverse engineering may give a clue if this is close.
Max.

IamJatinah

Joined Oct 22, 2014
Hi All, I also dont have an exact board here at the moment, but a similar unit, the
MC5100DTS3-50W has a 2.0-ohm 2w resistor(Red, Black, Gold, Gold) like you mention, coming from the V_Bulk + rectifier (Bridge) mounted to the heatsink. On this unit, it is a limiting resistor to a steering diode D10 to bias a power supply section. Good Luck.

buzzawak

Joined May 29, 2018
Hi guys, hope someone could help identify a component on a Icon mc2100E motor controller.
I am trying to confirm the numbers on U4 on the board. The best I can make out its is a "TD3052"

Hope someone can help
Thanks Michael B

Solo761

Joined Sep 10, 2014
Hello all, any MC2100(E) experts still here? :)

I got asked to take a look at one treadmill that stopped working by a friend. From what I found power/control board blew.
It's MC2100E Rev C board. I tried looking for schematics, to see what all components are, with mixed results. I took a look at the one posted here, but I'm not sure if it's this exact model (it says MC2100, not E variant).

So far I found that these components got damaged: U5, Q5, R45 and R46 (plus one trace near D17 silkscreen).

Here are the images (there's lot of them so I uploaded them to separate site). I made pictures of few other parts that might be of interest to people here. Microcontroler (U3) looks like it also got damaged, but I think it's OK, stuff that looks like melted plastic seems to be some kind of lacquer, I scratched it off with my nail and etched letters remained).

- Schematics say U5 is MIC4227 but I haven't exactly found info on this part, only MIC4427, is this typo in schematic? I found relatively high res image of MC2100 board and I think it does say MIC4427.

- R45 measures as 1k7 Ohm, although from marking I managed to take a picture of it seems it says 30C which should be 20k Ohm. R46 is completely blown so no markings are visible. But I would guess it was the same as R45. Does anyone knows what values these should be?
R34 and R35 (marked as 102) on MC2100E are R29 and R30 on MC2100.MC2100 doesn't have these, or equivalent of these.

- Lastly Q5, I think Q2 is equivalent on MC2100 board, which is IRFP250 mosfet, is this correct for MC2100E? I've seen in this thread that IGBT APT30GT60BR was mentioned and part of the text that's still visible on Q5 on this unit begins with APT.

Thanks

buzzawak

Joined May 29, 2018
I recently got my controller board (same board) going again. Take two pics (left side and right side, top view) of your board and ring the components you need identifying.