mc2100-els-18W pops fuse

JIMFITNESS2920

Joined Oct 2, 2019
I have a proform treadmill with a
mc2100-els-18W circuit boars
which trips the fuse each time you press start.

Press start > track gives a slight judder (less than a second)> fuse blows

Ive tested the motor with a 18v battery and it ran.

Runs fine with power lead disconnected on motor.

Purchased a replacement circuit board and fitted. Track ran for 1 to 2 mins at slow speed but then slowed and blew the fuse again.

Now its back to Press start > track gives a slight judder (less than a second)> fuse blows

Does this mean this board is faulty now too because it did work initially? Any ideas?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are you sure there is not a mechanical problem with the track?
Was the motor mechanically connected when you tried the 18v test?
What does the red led show before the fuse blows?
Max.

dePetry

Joined Oct 22, 2019
Hello all,

After a search "home fuse blows MC2100" I found this topic and others.

same issue as in this topic. Treadmill (Pro-Form performance s7.5) is starting up fine. Decent motor works fine. When i press start for speeding it shudders halve second and then te home 16A fuse blows instantly. Checked the DC motor with a 12V battery and works fine (belt disconnected). (took motor apart and no smell or other signs of damage). When i Disconnect the DC motor the fuse doenst blow.

I have these semis on the heatsink an IGBT(G4PC40K), a MOSFET(HFA15BP60), a Thyristor(S8025L) and one Bridge rectifier(GBJ25M). The last one i have checked and does its job. (my treadmill has a decent motor as well and this one is
working fine)

I dit find IC CY8C24223A-24PVX1 (see picture) a bit "corroded". Could this IC course this problem? I cleaned it and legs are still ok. Haven't tried it yet too fit it back ass i am not sure the corrosion could course this and it will be solved after a cleaned. Sounds like wishful thinking too me ;-).

Thank you in advance for anybody help on this! (or should I create a new topic?)

Peter

Attachments

I have these semis on the heatsink an IGBT(G4PC40K), a MOSFET(HFA15BP60), a Thyristor(S8025L) and one Bridge rectifier(GBJ25M). The last one i have checked and does its job. (my treadmill has a decent motor as well and this one is
working fine)
Apart from the bridge rectifier, did you check the IGBT/MOSFET?

dePetry

Joined Oct 22, 2019
Apart from the bridge rectifier, did you check the IGBT/MOSFET?

I changed the IGBT (Solder it off the board and was not OK) and the mosfet. Reconected the printboard and fuse blew straight away. IGBT is dameged again. Motor was ok I tested before.

I want too fit an external PWM or SCR controller. (i use a foot pod with zwift so i dont need the treadmill own speedcontrol)

I am not sure what is best too go for Motor is 2.6 HP cont. Duty 110 VDC/1939 Watt or 2.8 Max at 130 VDC. We have 220V AC but i can use the 110 AC from the treadmill.

Anny sugestions or should i start a new topic for this?

Thanks in advanced, Peter

dePetry

Joined Oct 22, 2019
I built some Picmicro PWM controllers for the 50hz inputs, with stop/start P.B.
Max.
Hi Max,

I was thinking not too use the printboard but wire it straight too the DC motor. The board stil works for the incline motor when is disconnect the dc motor.
Is controller not an easy and cheap soloition?

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/OooTDaD3z
Or am I thinking too simple? Can I get you soloution too see how that works?

Cheers!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
No sure of your intention? Is it to feed the motor direct with no controller?
that appears to be just a variable AC power supply?
You would need to fit a bridge rectifier etc.
Max.

dePetry

Joined Oct 22, 2019
No sure of your intention? Is it to feed the motor direct with no controller?
that appears to be just a variable AC power supply?
You would need to fit a bridge rectifier etc.
Max.
Sorry, I was looking for SCR DC controllers. I was too enthousiastac when i Saw the amps.
you can also make it from a few cheap parts like in this video. But us understand that a proper pmw controller runs smoother. Can’t find one do with high amps for an reasonable price.

I just want too connect it straight too the motor and adjust my running speed by the controller. With an foot pod I can see my running speed in an app like Zwift. Incline in still working when I disconnected the motor from the board. So I thought that this would be a nice option for more broken treadmills for foot pod users.

Also not sure how the cheap controller will hold onder “running load”.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also not sure how the cheap controller will hold onder “running load”.
Yeah, that video has been around for awhile, it is a simple Triac controller followed by a bridge, about as basic as you can get, it works, but no where near the control you get with a PWM controller or the MC2100 board.
Max.

dePetry

Joined Oct 22, 2019
Yeah, that video has been around for awhile, it is a simple Triac controller followed by a bridge, about as basic as you can get, it works, but no where near the control you get with a PWM controller or the MC2100 board.
Max.
I know and I prefer the PWM option but can't find a powerfull one ye It (or my knowledge is lacking). I don't want to buy the MC2100 board as I want to learn from it now I am taking this route so that other treadmills with an expensive board (more pro ones) can be converted to be used for Zwift runners.

I will do some more research and will keep it posted here for people with the same idea.

Thanks Max

I know and I prefer the PWM option but can't find a powerfull one ye It (or my knowledge is lacking). I don't want to buy the MC2100 board as I want to learn from it now I am taking this route so that other treadmills with an expensive board (more pro ones) can be converted to be used for Zwift runners.

I will do some more research and will keep it posted here for people with the same idea.

Thanks Max
Hey buddy I have the same idea as you. Did you find a decent pwm controller?