MC-60 questions

Kimon

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Hello all,
I signed up for this forum years ago. I'm a newbie when it comes to electronics. I have read many forum posts about the MC-60 control board for DC motors. I understand that the MC-60 board is out of date, there are other better ways to control motors.

That being said I have 4 of the MC-60 control boards 2 of them are Rev K. One is Rev K1, and one is Rev G. I downloaded the circuit diagrams and studied it carefully. My motor is a 2.25 HP 130DVC motor which will run about 1100 rpm.

My questions

1. On three of my boards there is no resistor at the position marked R15. One of my boards has this resistor. I've not been able to find it's value nor it's function. The location of R15 is beside the AC1 Blue wire connection for the motor. I am assuming it is related to the power.

2. The choke or a capacitor on the motor. I have read that several people say a Choke will improve the performance of the motor. Some people have recommended a capacitor. I've notice alot of manufacturers use a choke. One of my boards did come with a choke. I hooked it up and did not notice much of a change at all in either noise from the motor or from performance. I'm all for making the motor run better, which should I invest in a choke or a capacitor?

Thanks for the help.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The original MC-60 TM application uses a series choke, as does many DC drive applications that use a Triac bridge for switching control, it is intended to reduce the 120Hz ripple to the motor.
As to the resistor, are you attempting to defeat the Pot to zero before start feature?
Max.

Kimon

Joined Oct 24, 2009
As to the resistor, are you attempting to defeat the Pot to zero before start feature?
I've read many threads. The suggestion to cut R19 (RPS3) did not work to disable the pot to zero before start.
Cutting R27 did work to disable pot to zero.

Forgive my ignorance I'm just trying to figure out what difference R15 makes in the operation of the board. Can I remove it from the one board that does have it?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I could not find R15 on the reverse engineered schematic version, but does the resistor have a dotted line/box around it on the board?
If so this is an option for different T.M.'s and affects performance according to the model it was fitted to.
Why did you want to remove it?
Max.

Kimon

Joined Oct 24, 2009
I could not find R15 on the reverse engineered schematic version, but does the resistor have a dotted line/box around it on the board?
If so this is an option for different T.M.'s and affects performance according to the model it was fitted to.
Why did you want to remove it?
Max.
R15 does not have a dotted line around it. I could not find R15 either. I don't want to remove it. I know I have three mc-60 boards without R15 and one with it. I am going to be using the same motor and want the same performance from all 4 mc-60 boards.

I've included picts of 2 mc-60s one with the R15 resistor missing, and one with the R15 resistor clipped.

I suspect Max you are right different TM's, different options. Maybe it just one of those things that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Attachments