MC-60 Motor Controller won't turn on. I need help

ElectricSuperSaiyan

Joined Sep 26, 2020
Hello, I received a treadmill that would not start. Treadmill powers on the console, there's lights on what seems to be the power supply board, but no lights come on the mc-60 board. I saw a video on YouTube about how to use the mc-60 controller board to force the motor to turn on as many people have used this board to make drills and sanders etc. I followed the instructions exactly and when I plugged it in (bypassing the treadmills power supply and controlling it with my own potentiometer) the treadmill motor immediately started at full speed and smoke was coming from the mc-60 board. I know there is much discussion about this board and I have read a couple of threads, but I need help narrowing down to what the issue could be. I am thinking that the SCR S4020L thyristors are burned. When I put my multimeter and tested in diode mode, I am only getting 0.023 V from the very left edge lead to the right edge lead. I read that by shorting the anode with the gate while keeping negative lead of multimeter to the cathode, I should be getting 0.5-0.7 V reading or so. But when I short, its the same reading 0.023 V.

I apologize , I am a beginner in electronics but I am going through the textbook here in this awesome site that I wish I knew about before. I know there is a schematic here about this board but when I see it, it makes no sense to me. Plain English answers would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any assistance given.

ElectricSuperSaiyan

Joined Sep 26, 2020
Okay I unplugged control pot and motor does not run. There are no lights coming on mc-60. I have everything connected normally to the treadmill except red white and black cable. Attached a photo.

ElectricSuperSaiyan

Joined Sep 26, 2020
First just power up the board with no control pot attached, and ensure the motor does not run.
Check for D7 lit.
Max.

Okay I unplugged control pot and motor does not run. There are no lights coming on mc-60. I have everything connected normally to the treadmill except red white and black cable. Attached a photo.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Where did the smoke emanate from?
I would trouble shoot the board in a stand-alone condition, i.e. power it directly to the AC in from a switched AC source/socket.
First try with a incandescent lamp with the pot connected and see if it ramps up and if any LED lights.
Max.

ElectricSuperSaiyan

Joined Sep 26, 2020
Where did the smoke emanate from?
I would trouble shoot the board in a stand-alone condition, i.e. power it directly to the AC in from a switched AC source/socket.
First try with a incandescent lamp with the pot connected and see if it ramps up and if any LED lights.
Max.
Where do I connect the incandescent lamp to? The motor leads on the board?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes, the motor leads, no motor connected.
The ind LED should turn on with a command.
The power LED should light if there is the 12v source present.
Max..