May need to get my magnetic compass re-calibrated!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
"During the thousand years it will take for this change to complete, our vital protective magnetic shield will become significantly weaker — with potentially disastrous consequences".

Let's see, I will turn 68 years old tomorrow assuming I make it till tomorrow. I really don't think I worry about what may or may not happen in a thousand years. Think I'll just have another hard cider and relax. Thanks very much for the heads up though, much appreciated.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And now the rest of the story:

https://www.windows2universe.org/earth/Magnetosphere/geomagnetic_field_strength_brunhes.html

Looks to me like the magnetic field strength has dropped by more than the current drop nearly twenty times since the last reversal, that we are still well above the "critical value" for some past reversals, and that we have been below that critical value several times without experiencing a reversal.

Sounds like typical media hype.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Bottom line - looks like I just came up with the next biggest business venture ever. Geo-magnetic generators under every house. Imagine that market. Better than bomb shelters. As long as you stay within the magnetic sphere of your own personal molten iron core you're safe. Who's in with me ? ? ? it'll take some capital.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
If this happens all of the time (relatively speaking) why does the planet still have an atmosphere?

Probably those ancient aliens have been helping us.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And now the rest of the story:

https://www.windows2universe.org/earth/Magnetosphere/geomagnetic_field_strength_brunhes.html

Looks to me like the magnetic field strength has dropped by more than the current drop nearly twenty times since the last reversal, that we are still well above the "critical value" for some past reversals, and that we have been below that critical value several times without experiencing a reversal.

Sounds like typical media hype.
Seems that yes, that doom's day scenario is a little over the top:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/earth-magnetic-field-flip-north-south-poles-science/

A geomagnetic apocalypse may not be on the horizon, but there is some fascinating science behind the doomsday hype.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, if it happens in my lifetime then it's my time to go. I'll go happily knowing that the idiots who are running things will go too. And if not - then I'll have to endure the idiocracy just a little while longer.

My son once said to me (made me laugh because I've said the same thing) "It sucks being so damned smart (not that I think I'm that smart). It makes you acutely aware of just how stupid all the other people around you are."

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My son once said to me (made me laugh because I've said the same thing) "It sucks being so damned smart (not that I think I'm that smart). It makes you acutely aware of just how stupid all the other people around you are."
I disagree... it sucks because it makes you responsible for helping others who were not granted that sort of gift... and it's a big responsibility... I don't believe in people that were born stupid. I believe some of us were born smart (technically-wise) and some others not so much... and we're not better or superior because of that ... besides, I know very "smart" people out there that are extremely stupid when dealing with their personal lives, and vice-versa ... I don't know what I'd prefer if I were given a choice .... it's willful stupidity and willful ignorance that I have a problem with, and that applies to both the technical and the personal fields.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm sure I'm getting the numbers wrong -- I don't think by much -- but something like 95% of people believe they are above the average in terms of intelligence and a strong majority think they are well above average.

Another way I heard it said was that everyone thinks they're the hero of the piece.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm sure I'm getting the numbers wrong -- I don't think by much -- but something like 95% of people believe they are above the average in terms of intelligence and a strong majority think they are well above average.

Another way I heard it said was that everyone thinks they're the hero of the piece.
In other words ... we all suffer from the weakness of vanity ... no surprise there

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
/me looks at a certain icon and smiles...
Lol! ... if you're referring to me, I chose that icon (and previously others from Calvin & Hobbes) as a warning not take myself too seriously. It's a reminder of how ridiculous one looks when feigning superiority... trying to appear as something you're not.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
By the time that flip happens I hope my vessel is safely alongside in port. Still in doubt if we will have to rename the standard compass' North as South and vice versa or use the charts upside down?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
willful stupidity and willful ignorance
Good point.

I wouldn't say I'm super intelligent. I have trouble with math like you wouldn't believe. Just can't get my head around some of the numbers. And I've tried on many occasions to make sense of it but have failed. Yet I find so many people who are like me or worse with numbers. But they're also worse with common sense things as well. I know a genius just down the street and he strikes me as one of the dumbest men I've ever met. Real mouth breather.

I don't think I'm superior to others. I just can't stand being around the really really dumb ones. And like my son said, it sucks to know how much smarter you are than the fool who's trying to tell you how to calibrate a micrometer when he has NO IDEA of the concept of an absolute zero setting versus an included setting at zero. Or the kid who thinks I know nothing about proper torque procedures, who has an attitude of superiority over everyone else, the same kid who blew up a $250,000 machine because he thought his screw was properly torqued. And so many more examples I've come across and just didn't care to devote any brain memory cells to the event. The guy who blew up a machine - that one I'll never forget. To see him walking around (tall guy) trying to be as small as possible, as if reality came around and without so much as a mere touch cut him into little pieces. I love when Karma comes back around on the haughty. Me? I don't like Karma coming back around so I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible. It's better to let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.