Maximum input voltage a diode can handle

hoyyoth

Joined Mar 21, 2020
Dear Team,

May I know how to find the maximum input voltage a didode can handle.I checked many datasheets no info about this.

Can I apply any voltage greater than it's forward voltage.

Regards
HARI

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Just which diode? Here is a typical which shows max V.
1603176509541.png
The Vf for a silicon diode is ~0.7V, so of course you can provide greater voltage, or else it won't conduct at all. But if you provide a voltage higher than the Peak Reverse or max RMS you will burn it out. Another thing you need to look at is the power rating. If you take the max V and max I for a diode and convert that to Watts you will be far above what the diode can handle. So you have to look at the Voltage, Current, and Power ratings of the component when choosing it.

Last edited:

hoyyoth

Joined Mar 21, 2020
Just which diode? Here is a typical which shows max V.
View attachment 220042
The Vf for a silicon diode is ~0.7V, so of course you can provide greater voltage, or else it won't conduct at all. But if you provide a voltage higher than the Peak Reverse or max RMS you will burn it out.
Hi Sam,

Thank you very much for the clarification.
Now it is clear .

Regards
HARI

Marc Sugrue

Joined Jan 19, 2018
Dear Team,

May I know how to find the maximum input voltage a didode can handle.I checked many datasheets no info about this.

Regards
HARI
When you pass a forward biased current through a diode the forward votage can range between 0.4 & 1.2V this will be dependant on the type of Diode (Rectifier, Schottky etc) and the amount of current you pass through it - it is impossible to place a sustained voltage accross a diode greater than its voltage drop in its forward biased condition - this voltage is defined by its current.

For maximum voltage you would be referring to the maximum reverse voltage which would be the device rating as described in post #2.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There is indeed a process for determining the reverse breakdown voltage of a diode, but it often involves hazardous voltages, and always includes the possibility of doing damage.
The actual definition of the peak reverse voltage is that reverse bias voltage at which the leakage current starts to increase past some limit. The limit depends on the type and application of the diode.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thank you very much for the clarification.
Now it is clear .
Maximum power dissipation is the limiter. You don't want the junction to get hot enough to melt.

That will depend on forward voltage, current, ambient temperature, heatsinking, the thermal resistance of the package, ...

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
That is the forward voltage drop. I was talking about the reverse voltage leakage. THAT voltage is what is called the reverse voltage.
But that is not what the TS was asking about. He asked if he could aplly any voltage greater than the forward voltage.

Bob

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Dear Team,

Regards
HARI
It is not clear why you are asking this question. The purpose of a diode is to prevent current from flowing in the reverse direction. The exact forward voltage drop is dependent on the temperature of the diode junction. Oer are you asking about the maximum reverse voltage? Mostly folks are concerned with thee maximum forward current and the peak reverse voltage.
So what is your application that you are asking about applying a voltage in the forward direction? I have not come across such an application is why I am asking.

Last edited: