Math programs and electronics???

music_man

Joined Jun 23, 2010
Hello group, the world keeps changing and I keep trying to catch up. I recently stumbled onto a really cool program called microsoft math. I have done alot of math but don't really understand it deep down. It has been twenty something years since I have been to school and studied math so this microsoft math was a very cool find for me. It takes what ever you put into it and solves it step by step in front of your eyes. Way cooler than my hp48gx which just gives the answer.

Anyway I am looking for a program like microsofts that can go one step further. I want to be able to store forumlas in ie: 1/(2PiSqrt(LC)) type of stuff and have the ability to store them and step through them in a manner like microsoft does.

I also just did a free 5 day trial of Algebrator. The thing is they are great at breaking down math equations but not that easy at least to my aging brain at letting you input a formula (store it) and reuse it over and over again.

Do any of you know of an inexpensive program that breaks it all down step by step as well as let you customize what formula's you put into it. Thank you very much for a response if you can think of anything.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
If you have an office suite, eg microsoft office, you already have much of what you seek.

Word allows you to compose formulae, equations etc and print them out.
Excel allows you to calculate with formulae.

The formulae ability is not always loaded in a Word installation, but it is there on the CD.

music_man

Joined Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for your input. I don't have word just works. I do have version of wordperfect. Maybe that has something in there. Thank you for your suggestion.

The one thing I wanted instead of just an answer is what particular steps were involved in getting to the answer. I made it through college algebra and calculus not because I knew how to do every step. But because I bought the best calculators I could buy at the time.

Now 20 years later I want to know not only that the formula works but why does it work, what steps were taken to get to the answer. Microsoft math would be perfect if it had the ablity to store my own formulas and recall them simply when needed.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
There is a spreadsheet capability in Works.

I do not know how complicated the formulae it can handle are.

Alternatively Open Office may do you - it's free.

www.openoffice.org

I recommend using a spreadsheet as you can follow the calculation through without the drudgery of the actual number crunching.
It is aslo easy to experiment with.

You may be able to get hold of a cheap 2nd hand copy of

Spreadsheet Analysis for Engineers and Scientists

By S C Bloch

There lots to follow in there.