Math/Engineering operators

jrap

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hi all,

Dave and I have implemented a new feature to be used when starting a new topic/replying. It allows for quick access to frequently used math and engineering symbols.

Are any major ones forgotten?

Thanks

øΩΘφβαΓηδεκμωτφψσζρ↓ƒ←→↑Π±≥ ≡≡≤≠ ∫∞∂Δ∑

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by jrap@Apr 5 2004, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

Dave and I have implemented a new feature to be used when starting a new topic/replying. It allows for quick access to frequently used math and engineering symbols.

Are any major ones forgotten?

Thanks

øΩΘφβαΓηδεκμωτφψσζρ↓ƒ←→↑Π±≥ ≡≡≤≠ ∫∞∂Δ∑
Good stuff jrap, didn't expect it to be up and running so soon.

Like I said in the e-mail to you the only thing I can think of is capital letters with lines above them, which would be useful for boolean algebra and vectors. However, I'd imagine this would take up quite some space. Just a thought.

Also I've noticed a duplication of the "exactly equal to" operator '≡', but there is no "approximately equal to" operator '≈'

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
jrap,

I have also noticed that the powers ², ³ etc, are missing. There may be a reason for these not being included but they would be very useful (particularly powers: 1, 2, 3, 6 and 9) as well as the minus operator for powers ˉ

Dave

jrap

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hi, I should have time to fix duplications and add in a few other symbols today, sorry about the delay.

My reasoning for the powers missing, is because I think it's more standard to use the '^' symbol when referencing a power.

ie:
2^4
2^(4y/2)
etc

I should add a stick topic linking to
http://mathforum.org/typesetting/ascii.guidelines.html

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by jrap@Apr 9 2004, 04:59 PM
Hi, I should have time to fix duplications and add in a few other symbols today, sorry about the delay.

My reasoning for the powers missing, is because I think it's more standard to use the '^' symbol when referencing a power.

ie:
2^4
2^(4y/2)
etc

I should add a stick topic linking to
http://mathforum.org/typesetting/ascii.guidelines.html
Ok, jrap the changes have been noted. I see where your coming from with the powers, your examples show the limitations of having powers as emoticon (i.e. the algebraic example).

It is looking good and I have noticed a few people taking advantage of the symbols.

jrap

Joined Dec 31, 1969
i promise i will get those changes done tomorrow. in the midst of exams right now.
good luck to everyone else with your exams

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by jrap@Apr 15 2004, 08:54 PM
i promise i will get those changes done tomorrow. in the midst of exams right now.
good luck to everyone else with your exams
And good luck to you too :)