engineering math terminology

Discussion in 'Math' started by precaud, Dec 18, 2011.

  1. precaud

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 18, 2011
    Here's an an "engineering math terminology" problem that is stumping me, having to do with parallel complex impedances. Perhaps someone can help.

    In the abstract, for multiplication of complex numbers (Z1 * Z2 = Zm), we have factors (Z1, Z2) and product (Zm).

    For division of complex numbers (Z1 / Z2 = Zd), we have dividend (Z1), divisor (Z2), and quotient (Zd).

    For complex impedances in parallel (Z1 || Z2 = Zp), we have, what?

    What is the correct terminology to use to describe each of the operands in this equation? In orher words, how would you complete these sentences:
    " Zp is the _________ of Z1 and Z2."
    " Z1 and Z2 are _______ of Zp "

    Any input is appreciated.
  2. Georacer


    Nov 25, 2009
    I personally use double slashes (//). This is a very special operation, not usually found in general math, so I don't think there is an operator for it.

    I would fill your sentences with "parallel combination" and "the parallel components".
  3. Papabravo


    Feb 24, 2006
    The parallel combination requires a product, a sum, and a quotient.

    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2. Zp = Z1*Z2 / (Z1 + Z2)
    In words you could say that Zp is the product divided by the sum.
    You could also say that it is the ratio of the product to the sum.
  4. precaud

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 18, 2011
    Yes, I've never encountered it outside of electronics. So there is no agreed-upon operator, and no special words assigned to the operands in the equation either.

    That's what I have been using. They're descriptive enough, but a tad awkward if one has to use them repeatedly in a circuit description.

    Thanks for your input.